[OpenAjaxSteeringCommittee] URGENT: Please vote to approve minutes from today's phone call

David Boloker boloker at us.ibm.com
Sat Jan 31 05:29:01 PST 2009

+1

From:
Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS
To:
steeringcommittee at openajax.org
Date:
01/30/2009 07:34 PM
Subject:
[OpenAjaxSteeringCommittee] URGENT: Please vote to approve minutes from
today's phone call

Please reply +1 if you approve these minutes from today's phone call.

Steering Committee Minutes 2009-01-30
These minutes have not yet been approved.

Attendees
Mike Milinkovich, Eclipse Foundation
David Boloker, IBM
Jeremy Chone, Nexaweb
Bertrand Le Roy, Microsoft
Kevin Hakman, Aptana
Jon Ferraiolo, IBM
Howard Weingram, TIBCO
Agenda
Agenda
Rechartering approved for Interoperability WG and IDE WG
Reminder: we did not recharter Marketing WG
OpenAjax Hub 1.1 (Interoperability WG)
In the midst of final API discussions
In the midst of final editorial work
Open source reference implementation tracking last-minute spec changes
Test suite needs lots of work still, will be a major focus in coming weeks

Shooting for starting approval process in March, with press activity upon
approval
OpenAjax Metadata 1.0 (IDE WG)
Only a couple of picayune open issues
Final push: completion and review of final editorial text
Shooting for approval sometime soon after Hub 1.1, with press activity
upon approval
Mashable Widgets features for OpenAjax Metadata (Gadgets TF)
Mashup/gadgets features were split off (temporarily?) into separate spec
IBM is working on concrete proposals
Once we have concrete proposals, Gadgets TF will kick back into gear
Once proposals are fleshed out in Gadgets TF, the TF will create
recommendations for how to turn into an official spec
Probably as incremental chapter(s) to OpenAjax Metadata spec, published by
IDE WG
Depending on timing for OAM 1.0, might sneak in to OAM 1.0 or might be
quick update as a OAM 1.1
Dan Gisolfi is co-chair (with Stew Nickolas). Dan will focus on marketing
and evangelism.
Mobile Device APIs (Mobile TF)
OMTP BONDI has detailed specs available, several commercial implementation
in progress
Expect BONDI press announcements at Mobile Web Congress in February
Mobile TF will meet in next two weeks to provide feedback on the spec
(note: looks good to Jon so far)
Mashup single-signon (Security TF)
Larry Kovek (Security TF chair) is assembling use cases, requirements, and
strawman proposals around single signon, user authentication and
authorization
So far, looks like Enterprise world needs both OpenID/OAuth and SAML
Once discussion material is ready, Security TF will kick back into gear
Accessible Tools (Accessibility TF)
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Accessibility
Objective: push the industry towards making more accessible Ajax
applications
Strawman deliverables: Best practice documents and conformance validation
tools
IBM is rounding up other companies to participate
Second round browser wishlist
IE team has requested an update
Proposal: do a second round in early spring using as much of old
infrastructure as possible
Ajax State of the world white paper and slide deck
Jon has a slide deck he gave recently that is mostly ready
Will send to marketing at openajax.org and steeringcommittee at openajax.org for
review comments and approvals
Next face-to-face
No good Ajax conferences to piggyback in spring
Not prepared for any big events in spring anyway (e.g., an InteropFest)
Proposal: wait until fall
OpenAjax Registry and OpenAjax Conformance
At F2F, agreed to finish these, but as lower priority activities. No
recent progress
Minutes

Rechartering approved for Interoperability WG and IDE WG
Jon: Just a reminder that you approved rechartering the Interop and IDE
WGs until end of 2009. They are finishing up work that was already under
way. The Marketing WG has expired. We can restore it if we need to. Any
comments or questions?
(none)
OpenAjax Hub 1.1 (Interoperability WG)
(Jon repeats the following points)
In the midst of final API discussions
In the midst of final editorial work
Open source reference implementation tracking last-minute spec changes
Test suite needs lots of work still, will be a major focus in coming weeks

Shooting for starting approval process in March, with press activity upon
approval
Jon: Howard has been very helpful in the InteropWG on Hub 1.1
Howard: Thanks
Jon: Big thing to work on is test suites. Javier and I will be spending
lots of time on that in February. We hope Howard will contribute somehow.
He made major contributions to testing for Hub 1.0
Jon: Questions or comments?
(none)
OpenAjax Metadata 1.0 (IDE WG)
(Jon repeats the following points)
Only a couple of picayune open issues
Final push: completion and review of final editorial text
Shooting for approval sometime soon after Hub 1.1, with press activity
upon approval
Jon: I am thinking that we try to finish OpenAjax Metadata about a month
after Hub 1.1, with separate announcements so that we have two press
events keeping OpenAjax in the news.
Howard: Good idea
Jon: Then look for opportunities throughout 2009 to have press about
adoption to keep things in the news and make sure the industry is aware
that others are jumping on board. I believe that there is an major
opportunity to affect the industry, and we have the technology, so the
thing we need to focus on is promotion.
Howard: Yes
Mashable Widgets features for OpenAjax Metadata (Gadgets TF)
(Jon repeats the following points)
Mashup/gadgets features were split off (temporarily?) into separate spec
IBM is working on concrete proposals
Once we have concrete proposals, Gadgets TF will kick back into gear
Once proposals are fleshed out in Gadgets TF, the TF will create
recommendations for how to turn into an official spec
Probably as incremental chapter(s) to OpenAjax Metadata spec, published by
IDE WG
Depending on timing for OAM 1.0, might sneak in to OAM 1.0 or might be
quick update as a OAM 1.1
Dan Gisolfi is co-chair (with Stew Nickolas). Dan will focus on marketing
and evangelism.
Jon: We decided at the fall face-to-face to split off the mashup-related
features from the IDE features in OpenAjax Metadata so that the Gadgets TF
could study the features to see about whether there were ways to better
align with Google Gadgets. Nothing to show as yet, largely because I've
been busy on Hub and the IDE features. But some people at IBM are
converging on a concrete proposal. If other proposals appear, great, but
once there is a proposal, the Gadgets TF will resume work to push towards
consensus.
Jon: Once consensus on a spec is achieved, then they will recommend what
to do. Most likely, the recommendation will be to add extra chapters to
the IDE spec.
Jon: Dan Gisolfi of IBM has volunteered himself as co-chair. Dan has good
technical knowledge, but his big value-add will be on marketing and
industry evangelism. He has already made progress. Today, I saw a demo
from a company that he has worked with that demonstrated adoption of
OpenAjax Hub. I don't think I can mention them by name. But OK with Dan as
co-chair?
Mike/Howard: Fine with me
David: Dan will be helping with outreach for OpenAjax on lots of fronts,
not just gadgets and mashups. Also, Hub 1.1.
Mobile Device APIs (Mobile TF)
(Jon repeats the following points)
OMTP BONDI has detailed specs available, several commercial implementation
in progress
Expect BONDI press announcements at Mobile Web Congress in February
Mobile TF will meet in next two weeks to provide feedback on the spec
(note: looks good to Jon so far)
Jon: The Mobile Device API initiative done at OpenAjax last year looks
like a great technology transfer success. Building from our work, they now
have near complete APIs available, along with a handful of commercial
implementations. Lots of good momentum. Implementations are coming from
operators and smaller software companies, but last I heard, however, they
were still trying to get the browser vendors to implement. Looks like
early use cases will be around mobile widgets, versus mobile browsing.
Kevin: Ben and Dion are now at Mozilla. Maybe they can help make
connections to the Firebox team.
Howard: Might be a good starting point. Bertrand, how about the IE folks?
Bertrand: I will try again.
Jon: Due to mobile widget focus, might be good to talk to Windows Mobile
team, not just IE Mobile team.
Bertrand: OK
Mashup single-signon (Security TF)
(Jon repeats the following points)
Larry Koved (Security TF chair) is assembling use cases, requirements, and
strawman proposals around single signon, user authentication and
authorization
So far, looks like Enterprise world needs both OpenID/OAuth and SAML
Once discussion material is ready, Security TF will kick back into gear
Howard: Have any emails been sent to the Security TF yet?
Jon: Not yet. Within next couple of weeks, thought
Howard: I will be interested
Jon: Good. I hoping that at a minimum we get IBM, SAP and TIBCO so we have
more than just an IBM perspective
Accessible Tools (Accessibility TF)
(Jon repeats the following points)
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Accessibility
Objective: push the industry towards making more accessible Ajax
applications
Strawman deliverables: Best practice documents and conformance validation
tools
IBM is rounding up other companies to participate
Jon: Seems clear cut that this task force is OK, but let me ask if there
are any objections
Kevin: No objections. What is the start of the art around Ajax
accessibility versus proprietary RIA technologies? Is Dojo ahead?
David: Dojo widgets are accessible. Flash widgets have issues.
Kevin: Then this is an area where Ajax can garner favor. Bertrand, is Ajax
accessibility something that MS is pursuing.?
Bertrand: It's a requirement in many countries. Can't afford to ignore.
David: There is an accessibility conference this week. In accessibility on
the Web, IE with MSAA is the gold standard.
Bertrand: I can get MS accessibility involved
David: We have already connected with MS's accessibility people
Kevin: Task force in this area is great
Second round browser wishlist
(Jon repeats the following points)
IE team has requested an update
Proposal: do a second round in early spring using as much of old
infrastructure as possible
Jon: Since IE8 is at RC, I am thinking that we should make this happen as
early as we can
Howard/Bertrand: Yes
Bertrand: What about existing features that aren't yet resolved? Reuse
them or make new features?
Jon: You mean like SVG/Canvas in IE?
Bertrand: Yes, like that one.
Jon: I haven't put much thinking into it yet, but something like renaming
all of the wiki pages from last year with "2008_" in front of the wiki
page name, and then copy the unresolved ones to new pages.
Jon: I was thinking we would reuse the same approaches, wiki and voting
page, to save setup time. This time I expect that there will be whole new
areas because we are one year smarter. For example, I would like to see
browser engine available in a manner that is better integrated with
desktop. Some overlaps with AIR.
Howard: Indeed. I have some things as well.
Ajax State of the world white paper and slide deck
(Jon repeats the following points)
Jon has a slide deck he gave recently that is mostly ready
Will send to marketing at openajax.org and steeringcommittee at openajax.org for
review comments and approvals
Jon: My current slide deck is largely factual, but with a cheerleading
tone. Needs some cleanups. Then, turn it into text and it becomes a white
paper. Post both the white paper and the slide deck.
Howard: Sounds positive.
Mike: Yes, good marketing.
Jon: Even though no Marketing WG, we still have the mailing list. What I
was thinking was sending drafts to marketing at openajax.org for feedback,
and then have Steering Committee decide on approval.
Bertrand/Howard/David: Yes
Next face-to-face
(Jon repeats the following points)
No good Ajax conferences to piggyback in spring
Not prepared for any big events in spring anyway (e.g., an InteropFest)
Proposal: wait until fall
Howard: Could try a virtual face-to-face. Give an update on things going
on via video conference.
Jon/Howard: Need to package in an attractive manner so people will show up

Howard: A few hours. Keep momentum going. Make sure topics are useful and
relevant.
Jeremy: Good idea. Maybe one on west coast and one on east coast?
Mike: Another idea. 90 minute webinars for a status update. GotoWebinar
hosts up to 1000 people. East Coast, West Coast still requires people to
travel.
Jon: Are they recorded so people can look at it later?
Howard: Yes
Mike: What is the extra benefit for members?
Howard: Participation only for members, but public viewing?
Jon/Howard: Best to have it after Hub and Metadata are done.
Howard: Don't want to lose momentum.
Jon: More than one? One for a status update, then follow-on ones that
focus on particular technologies.
Howard: Only for members would be a plus.
Howard: Best if you block off big parts of a single day.
Mike: Maybe repeat the webinar to address different time zones
Jon: Is it complicated to set up?
Mike: Drop dead simple
Jon: I'll take the action to research options and send in proposals for
you to review
Mike: I can explain gotowebinar.
OpenAjax Registry and OpenAjax Conformance
(Jon repeats the following points)
At F2F, agreed to finish these, but as lower priority activities. No
recent progress
Bertrand: I sent email about a tool that showed compatibility. Maybe we
should talk to then about contributing their tool?
Jon: I agree with all of this
Bertrand: I can probe him about that?
Jon: Yes, please