[OpenAjaxSteeringCommittee] URGENT: Please vote to approve minutes from today's phone call

Kevin Hakman khakman at aptana.com
Fri Jan 30 16:42:43 PST 2009


+1 Aptana

From: steeringcommittee-bounces at openajax.org [mailto:steeringcommittee-bounces at openajax.org] On Behalf Of Jon Ferraiolo
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 4:34 PM
To: steeringcommittee at openajax.org
Subject: [OpenAjaxSteeringCommittee] URGENT: Please vote to approve minutes from today's phone call


Please reply +1 if you approve these minutes from today's phone call.

Thanks.
Jon

-----------------------------------------------


Steering Committee Minutes 2009-01-30

These minutes have not yet been approved.

URL: http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Steering_Committee_Minutes_2009-01-30

Attendees

    *   Mike Milinkovich, Eclipse Foundation
    *   David Boloker, IBM
    *   Jeremy Chone, Nexaweb
    *   Bertrand Le Roy, Microsoft
    *   Kevin Hakman, Aptana
    *   Jon Ferraiolo, IBM
    *   Howard Weingram, TIBCO
Agenda

    *   Agenda
          *   Rechartering approved for Interoperability WG and IDE WG
                *   Reminder: we did not recharter Marketing WG
          *   OpenAjax Hub 1.1 (Interoperability WG)
                *   In the midst of final API discussions
                *   In the midst of final editorial work
                *   Open source reference implementation tracking last-minute spec changes
                *   Test suite needs lots of work still, will be a major focus in coming weeks
                *   Shooting for starting approval process in March, with press activity upon approval
          *   OpenAjax Metadata 1.0 (IDE WG)
                *   Only a couple of picayune open issues
                *   Final push: completion and review of final editorial text
                *   Shooting for approval sometime soon after Hub 1.1, with press activity upon approval
          *   Mashable Widgets features for OpenAjax Metadata (Gadgets TF)
                *   Mashup/gadgets features were split off (temporarily?) into separate spec
                *   IBM is working on concrete proposals
                *   Once we have concrete proposals, Gadgets TF will kick back into gear
                *   Once proposals are fleshed out in Gadgets TF, the TF will create recommendations for how to turn into an official spec
                      *   Probably as incremental chapter(s) to OpenAjax Metadata spec, published by IDE WG
                      *   Depending on timing for OAM 1.0, might sneak in to OAM 1.0 or might be quick update as a OAM 1.1
                *   Dan Gisolfi is co-chair (with Stew Nickolas). Dan will focus on marketing and evangelism.
          *   Mobile Device APIs (Mobile TF)
                *   OMTP BONDI has detailed specs available, several commercial implementation in progress
                *   Expect BONDI press announcements at Mobile Web Congress in February
                *   Mobile TF will meet in next two weeks to provide feedback on the spec (note: looks good to Jon so far)
          *   Mashup single-signon (Security TF)
                *   Larry Kovek (Security TF chair) is assembling use cases, requirements, and strawman proposals around single signon, user authentication and authorization
                *   So far, looks like Enterprise world needs both OpenID/OAuth and SAML
                *   Once discussion material is ready, Security TF will kick back into gear
          *   Accessible Tools (Accessibility TF)
                *   http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Accessibility
                *   Objective: push the industry towards making more accessible Ajax applications
                *   Strawman deliverables: Best practice documents and conformance validation tools
                *   IBM is rounding up other companies to participate
          *   Second round browser wishlist
                *   IE team has requested an update
                *   Proposal: do a second round in early spring using as much of old infrastructure as possible
          *   Ajax State of the world white paper and slide deck
                *   Jon has a slide deck he gave recently that is mostly ready
                *   Will send to marketing at openajax.org and steeringcommittee at openajax.org for review comments and approvals
          *   Next face-to-face
                *   No good Ajax conferences to piggyback in spring
                *   Not prepared for any big events in spring anyway (e.g., an InteropFest)
                *   Proposal: wait until fall
          *   OpenAjax Registry and OpenAjax Conformance
                *   At F2F, agreed to finish these, but as lower priority activities. No recent progress
Minutes

Rechartering approved for Interoperability WG and IDE WG

Jon: Just a reminder that you approved rechartering the Interop and IDE WGs until end of 2009. They are finishing up work that was already under way. The Marketing WG has expired. We can restore it if we need to. Any comments or questions?

(none)

OpenAjax Hub 1.1 (Interoperability WG)

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   In the midst of final API discussions
    *   In the midst of final editorial work
    *   Open source reference implementation tracking last-minute spec changes
    *   Test suite needs lots of work still, will be a major focus in coming weeks
    *   Shooting for starting approval process in March, with press activity upon approval
Jon: Howard has been very helpful in the InteropWG on Hub 1.1

Howard: Thanks

Jon: Big thing to work on is test suites. Javier and I will be spending lots of time on that in February. We hope Howard will contribute somehow. He made major contributions to testing for Hub 1.0

Jon: Questions or comments?

(none)

OpenAjax Metadata 1.0 (IDE WG)

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   Only a couple of picayune open issues
    *   Final push: completion and review of final editorial text
    *   Shooting for approval sometime soon after Hub 1.1, with press activity upon approval
Jon: I am thinking that we try to finish OpenAjax Metadata about a month after Hub 1.1, with separate announcements so that we have two press events keeping OpenAjax in the news.

Howard: Good idea

Jon: Then look for opportunities throughout 2009 to have press about adoption to keep things in the news and make sure the industry is aware that others are jumping on board. I believe that there is an major opportunity to affect the industry, and we have the technology, so the thing we need to focus on is promotion.

Howard: Yes

Mashable Widgets features for OpenAjax Metadata (Gadgets TF)

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   Mashup/gadgets features were split off (temporarily?) into separate spec
    *   IBM is working on concrete proposals
    *   Once we have concrete proposals, Gadgets TF will kick back into gear
    *   Once proposals are fleshed out in Gadgets TF, the TF will create recommendations for how to turn into an official spec
          *   Probably as incremental chapter(s) to OpenAjax Metadata spec, published by IDE WG
          *   Depending on timing for OAM 1.0, might sneak in to OAM 1.0 or might be quick update as a OAM 1.1
    *   Dan Gisolfi is co-chair (with Stew Nickolas). Dan will focus on marketing and evangelism.
Jon: We decided at the fall face-to-face to split off the mashup-related features from the IDE features in OpenAjax Metadata so that the Gadgets TF could study the features to see about whether there were ways to better align with Google Gadgets. Nothing to show as yet, largely because I've been busy on Hub and the IDE features. But some people at IBM are converging on a concrete proposal. If other proposals appear, great, but once there is a proposal, the Gadgets TF will resume work to push towards consensus.

Jon: Once consensus on a spec is achieved, then they will recommend what to do. Most likely, the recommendation will be to add extra chapters to the IDE spec.

Jon: Dan Gisolfi of IBM has volunteered himself as co-chair. Dan has good technical knowledge, but his big value-add will be on marketing and industry evangelism. He has already made progress. Today, I saw a demo from a company that he has worked with that demonstrated adoption of OpenAjax Hub. I don't think I can mention them by name. But OK with Dan as co-chair?

Mike/Howard: Fine with me

David: Dan will be helping with outreach for OpenAjax on lots of fronts, not just gadgets and mashups. Also, Hub 1.1.

Mobile Device APIs (Mobile TF)

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   OMTP BONDI has detailed specs available, several commercial implementation in progress
    *   Expect BONDI press announcements at Mobile Web Congress in February
    *   Mobile TF will meet in next two weeks to provide feedback on the spec (note: looks good to Jon so far)
Jon: The Mobile Device API initiative done at OpenAjax last year looks like a great technology transfer success. Building from our work, they now have near complete APIs available, along with a handful of commercial implementations. Lots of good momentum. Implementations are coming from operators and smaller software companies, but last I heard, however, they were still trying to get the browser vendors to implement. Looks like early use cases will be around mobile widgets, versus mobile browsing.

Kevin: Ben and Dion are now at Mozilla. Maybe they can help make connections to the Firebox team.

Howard: Might be a good starting point. Bertrand, how about the IE folks?

Bertrand: I will try again.

Jon: Due to mobile widget focus, might be good to talk to Windows Mobile team, not just IE Mobile team.

Bertrand: OK

Mashup single-signon (Security TF)

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   Larry Koved (Security TF chair) is assembling use cases, requirements, and strawman proposals around single signon, user authentication and authorization
    *   So far, looks like Enterprise world needs both OpenID/OAuth and SAML
    *   Once discussion material is ready, Security TF will kick back into gear
Howard: Have any emails been sent to the Security TF yet?

Jon: Not yet. Within next couple of weeks, thought

Howard: I will be interested

Jon: Good. I hoping that at a minimum we get IBM, SAP and TIBCO so we have more than just an IBM perspective

Accessible Tools (Accessibility TF)

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Accessibility
    *   Objective: push the industry towards making more accessible Ajax applications
    *   Strawman deliverables: Best practice documents and conformance validation tools
    *   IBM is rounding up other companies to participate
Jon: Seems clear cut that this task force is OK, but let me ask if there are any objections

Kevin: No objections. What is the start of the art around Ajax accessibility versus proprietary RIA technologies? Is Dojo ahead?

David: Dojo widgets are accessible. Flash widgets have issues.

Kevin: Then this is an area where Ajax can garner favor. Bertrand, is Ajax accessibility something that MS is pursuing.?

Bertrand: It's a requirement in many countries. Can't afford to ignore.

David: There is an accessibility conference this week. In accessibility on the Web, IE with MSAA is the gold standard.

Bertrand: I can get MS accessibility involved

David: We have already connected with MS's accessibility people

Kevin: Task force in this area is great

Second round browser wishlist

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   IE team has requested an update
    *   Proposal: do a second round in early spring using as much of old infrastructure as possible
Jon: Since IE8 is at RC, I am thinking that we should make this happen as early as we can

Howard/Bertrand: Yes

Bertrand: What about existing features that aren't yet resolved? Reuse them or make new features?

Jon: You mean like SVG/Canvas in IE?

Bertrand: Yes, like that one.

Jon: I haven't put much thinking into it yet, but something like renaming all of the wiki pages from last year with "2008_" in front of the wiki page name, and then copy the unresolved ones to new pages.

Jon: I was thinking we would reuse the same approaches, wiki and voting page, to save setup time. This time I expect that there will be whole new areas because we are one year smarter. For example, I would like to see browser engine available in a manner that is better integrated with desktop. Some overlaps with AIR.

Howard: Indeed. I have some things as well.

Ajax State of the world white paper and slide deck

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   Jon has a slide deck he gave recently that is mostly ready
    *   Will send to marketing at openajax.org and steeringcommittee at openajax.org for review comments and approvals
Jon: My current slide deck is largely factual, but with a cheerleading tone. Needs some cleanups. Then, turn it into text and it becomes a white paper. Post both the white paper and the slide deck.

Howard: Sounds positive.

Mike: Yes, good marketing.

Jon: Even though no Marketing WG, we still have the mailing list. What I was thinking was sending drafts to marketing at openajax.org for feedback, and then have Steering Committee decide on approval.

Bertrand/Howard/David: Yes

Next face-to-face

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   No good Ajax conferences to piggyback in spring
    *   Not prepared for any big events in spring anyway (e.g., an InteropFest)
    *   Proposal: wait until fall
Howard: Could try a virtual face-to-face. Give an update on things going on via video conference.

Jon/Howard: Need to package in an attractive manner so people will show up

Howard: A few hours. Keep momentum going. Make sure topics are useful and relevant.

Jeremy: Good idea. Maybe one on west coast and one on east coast?

Mike: Another idea. 90 minute webinars for a status update. GotoWebinar hosts up to 1000 people. East Coast, West Coast still requires people to travel.

Jon: Are they recorded so people can look at it later?

Howard: Yes

Mike: What is the extra benefit for members?

Howard: Participation only for members, but public viewing?

Jon/Howard: Best to have it after Hub and Metadata are done.

Howard: Don't want to lose momentum.

Jon: More than one? One for a status update, then follow-on ones that focus on particular technologies.

Howard: Only for members would be a plus.

Howard: Best if you block off big parts of a single day.

Mike: Maybe repeat the webinar to address different time zones

Jon: Is it complicated to set up?

Mike: Drop dead simple

Jon: I'll take the action to research options and send in proposals for you to review

Mike: I can explain gotowebinar.

OpenAjax Registry and OpenAjax Conformance

(Jon repeats the following points)

    *   At F2F, agreed to finish these, but as lower priority activities. No recent progress
Bertrand: I sent email about a tool that showed compatibility. Maybe we should talk to then about contributing their tool?

Jon: I agree with all of this

Bertrand: I can probe him about that?

Jon: Yes, please
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://openajax.org/pipermail/steeringcommittee/attachments/20090130/c54d5ed3/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the steeringcommittee mailing list