[OpenAjaxSteeringCommittee] URGENT: Please vote to approve minutes from today's phone call

Kris Zyp kris at sitepen.com
Fri Jan 30 16:36:29 PST 2009


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
 
+1. I'm really sorry I missed the meeting, for some reason I was
thinking it was 4pm PST.
Kris

Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
>
> */Please reply +1 if you approve these minutes from today's phone
> call./*
>
> Thanks. Jon
>
> -----------------------------------------------
>
>
> *Steering Committee Minutes 2009-01-30*
>
> /These minutes have not yet been approved./
>
> URL:
> _http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Steering_Committee_Minutes_2009-01-30_
>
>
>
> *Attendees*
>
> o Mike Milinkovich, Eclipse Foundation o David Boloker, IBM o
> Jeremy Chone, Nexaweb o Bertrand Le Roy, Microsoft o Kevin Hakman,
> Aptana o Jon Ferraiolo, IBM o Howard Weingram, TIBCO
>
> *Agenda*
>
> o Agenda # Rechartering approved for Interoperability WG and IDE WG
>  o Reminder: we did not recharter Marketing WG # OpenAjax Hub 1.1
> (Interoperability WG) o In the midst of final API discussions o In
> the midst of final editorial work o Open source reference
> implementation tracking last-minute spec changes o Test suite needs
> lots of work still, will be a major focus in coming weeks o
> Shooting for starting approval process in March, with press
> activity upon approval # OpenAjax Metadata 1.0 (IDE WG) o Only a
> couple of picayune open issues o Final push: completion and review
> of final editorial text o Shooting for approval sometime soon after
> Hub 1.1, with press activity upon approval # Mashable Widgets
> features for OpenAjax Metadata (Gadgets TF) o Mashup/gadgets
> features were split off (temporarily?) into separate spec o IBM is
> working on concrete proposals o Once we have concrete proposals,
> Gadgets TF will kick back into gear o Once proposals are fleshed
> out in Gadgets TF, the TF will create recommendations for how to
> turn into an official spec # Probably as incremental chapter(s) to
> OpenAjax Metadata spec, published by IDE WG # Depending on timing
> for OAM 1.0, might sneak in to OAM 1.0 or might be quick update as
> a OAM 1.1 o Dan Gisolfi is co-chair (with Stew Nickolas). Dan will
> focus on marketing and evangelism. # Mobile Device APIs (Mobile TF)
>  o OMTP BONDI has detailed specs available, several commercial
> implementation in progress o Expect BONDI press announcements at
> Mobile Web Congress in February o Mobile TF will meet in next two
> weeks to provide feedback on the spec (note: looks good to Jon so
> far) # Mashup single-signon (Security TF) o Larry Kovek (Security
> TF chair) is assembling use cases, requirements, and strawman
> proposals around single signon, user authentication and
> authorization o So far, looks like Enterprise world needs both
> OpenID/OAuth and SAML o Once discussion material is ready, Security
> TF will kick back into gear # Accessible Tools (Accessibility TF) o
> _http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Accessibility_
>
> o Objective: push the industry towards making more accessible Ajax
> applications o Strawman deliverables: Best practice documents and
> conformance validation tools o IBM is rounding up other companies
> to participate # Second round browser wishlist o IE team has
> requested an update o Proposal: do a second round in early spring
> using as much of old infrastructure as possible # Ajax State of the
> world white paper and slide deck o Jon has a slide deck he gave
> recently that is mostly ready o Will send to marketing at openajax.org
> and steeringcommittee at openajax.org for review comments and
> approvals # Next face-to-face o No good Ajax conferences to
> piggyback in spring o Not prepared for any big events in spring
> anyway (e.g., an InteropFest) o Proposal: wait until fall #
> OpenAjax Registry and OpenAjax Conformance o At F2F, agreed to
> finish these, but as lower priority activities. No recent progress
>
>
> *Minutes*
>
> *Rechartering approved for Interoperability WG and IDE WG *
>
> Jon: Just a reminder that you approved rechartering the Interop and
>  IDE WGs until end of 2009. They are finishing up work that was
> already under way. The Marketing WG has expired. We can restore it
> if we need to. Any comments or questions?
>
> (none)
>
> *OpenAjax Hub 1.1 (Interoperability WG)*
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o In the midst of final API discussions o In the midst of final
> editorial work o Open source reference implementation tracking
> last-minute spec changes o Test suite needs lots of work still,
> will be a major focus in coming weeks o Shooting for starting
> approval process in March, with press activity upon approval
>
> Jon: Howard has been very helpful in the InteropWG on Hub 1.1
>
> Howard: Thanks
>
> Jon: Big thing to work on is test suites. Javier and I will be
> spending lots of time on that in February. We hope Howard will
> contribute somehow. He made major contributions to testing for Hub
> 1.0
>
> Jon: Questions or comments?
>
> (none)
>
> *OpenAjax Metadata 1.0 (IDE WG)*
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o Only a couple of picayune open issues o Final push: completion
> and review of final editorial text o Shooting for approval sometime
> soon after Hub 1.1, with press activity upon approval
>
> Jon: I am thinking that we try to finish OpenAjax Metadata about a
> month after Hub 1.1, with separate announcements so that we have
> two press events keeping OpenAjax in the news.
>
> Howard: Good idea
>
> Jon: Then look for opportunities throughout 2009 to have press
> about adoption to keep things in the news and make sure the
> industry is aware that others are jumping on board. I believe that
> there is an major opportunity to affect the industry, and we have
> the technology, so the thing we need to focus on is promotion.
>
> Howard: Yes
>
> *Mashable Widgets features for OpenAjax Metadata (Gadgets TF)*
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o Mashup/gadgets features were split off (temporarily?) into
> separate spec o IBM is working on concrete proposals o Once we have
> concrete proposals, Gadgets TF will kick back into gear o Once
> proposals are fleshed out in Gadgets TF, the TF will create
> recommendations for how to turn into an official spec # Probably as
> incremental chapter(s) to OpenAjax Metadata spec, published by IDE
> WG # Depending on timing for OAM 1.0, might sneak in to OAM 1.0 or
> might be quick update as a OAM 1.1 o Dan Gisolfi is co-chair (with
> Stew Nickolas). Dan will focus on marketing and evangelism.
>
> Jon: We decided at the fall face-to-face to split off the
> mashup-related features from the IDE features in OpenAjax Metadata
> so that the Gadgets TF could study the features to see about
> whether there were ways to better align with Google Gadgets.
> Nothing to show as yet, largely because I've been busy on Hub and
> the IDE features. But some people at IBM are converging on a
> concrete proposal. If other proposals appear, great, but once there
> is a proposal, the Gadgets TF will resume work to push towards
> consensus.
>
> Jon: Once consensus on a spec is achieved, then they will recommend
>  what to do. Most likely, the recommendation will be to add extra
> chapters to the IDE spec.
>
> Jon: Dan Gisolfi of IBM has volunteered himself as co-chair. Dan
> has good technical knowledge, but his big value-add will be on
> marketing and industry evangelism. He has already made progress.
> Today, I saw a demo from a company that he has worked with that
> demonstrated adoption of OpenAjax Hub. I don't think I can mention
> them by name. But OK with Dan as co-chair?
>
> Mike/Howard: Fine with me
>
> David: Dan will be helping with outreach for OpenAjax on lots of
> fronts, not just gadgets and mashups. Also, Hub 1.1.
>
> *Mobile Device APIs (Mobile TF)*
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o OMTP BONDI has detailed specs available, several commercial
> implementation in progress o Expect BONDI press announcements at
> Mobile Web Congress in February o Mobile TF will meet in next two
> weeks to provide feedback on the spec (note: looks good to Jon so
> far)
>
> Jon: The Mobile Device API initiative done at OpenAjax last year
> looks like a great technology transfer success. Building from our
> work, they now have near complete APIs available, along with a
> handful of commercial implementations. Lots of good momentum.
> Implementations are coming from operators and smaller software
> companies, but last I heard, however, they were still trying to get
>  the browser vendors to implement. Looks like early use cases will
> be around mobile widgets, versus mobile browsing.
>
> Kevin: Ben and Dion are now at Mozilla. Maybe they can help make
> connections to the Firebox team.
>
> Howard: Might be a good starting point. Bertrand, how about the IE
> folks?
>
> Bertrand: I will try again.
>
> Jon: Due to mobile widget focus, might be good to talk to Windows
> Mobile team, not just IE Mobile team.
>
> Bertrand: OK
>
> *Mashup single-signon (Security TF) *
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o Larry Koved (Security TF chair) is assembling use cases,
> requirements, and strawman proposals around single signon, user
> authentication and authorization o So far, looks like Enterprise
> world needs both OpenID/OAuth and SAML o Once discussion material
> is ready, Security TF will kick back into gear
>
> Howard: Have any emails been sent to the Security TF yet?
>
> Jon: Not yet. Within next couple of weeks, thought
>
> Howard: I will be interested
>
> Jon: Good. I hoping that at a minimum we get IBM, SAP and TIBCO so
> we have more than just an IBM perspective
>
> *Accessible Tools (Accessibility TF)*
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o _http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Accessibility_ o Objective:
> push the industry towards making more accessible Ajax applications
> o Strawman deliverables: Best practice documents and conformance
> validation tools o IBM is rounding up other companies to
> participate
>
> Jon: Seems clear cut that this task force is OK, but let me ask if
> there are any objections
>
> Kevin: No objections. What is the start of the art around Ajax
> accessibility versus proprietary RIA technologies? Is Dojo ahead?
>
> David: Dojo widgets are accessible. Flash widgets have issues.
>
> Kevin: Then this is an area where Ajax can garner favor. Bertrand,
> is Ajax accessibility something that MS is pursuing.?
>
> Bertrand: It's a requirement in many countries. Can't afford to
> ignore.
>
> David: There is an accessibility conference this week. In
> accessibility on the Web, IE with MSAA is the gold standard.
>
> Bertrand: I can get MS accessibility involved
>
> David: We have already connected with MS's accessibility people
>
> Kevin: Task force in this area is great
>
> *Second round browser wishlist *
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o IE team has requested an update o Proposal: do a second round in
> early spring using as much of old infrastructure as possible
>
> Jon: Since IE8 is at RC, I am thinking that we should make this
> happen as early as we can
>
> Howard/Bertrand: Yes
>
> Bertrand: What about existing features that aren't yet resolved?
> Reuse them or make new features?
>
> Jon: You mean like SVG/Canvas in IE?
>
> Bertrand: Yes, like that one.
>
> Jon: I haven't put much thinking into it yet, but something like
> renaming all of the wiki pages from last year with "2008_" in front
>  of the wiki page name, and then copy the unresolved ones to new
> pages.
>
> Jon: I was thinking we would reuse the same approaches, wiki and
> voting page, to save setup time. This time I expect that there will
>  be whole new areas because we are one year smarter. For example, I
>  would like to see browser engine available in a manner that is
> better integrated with desktop. Some overlaps with AIR.
>
> Howard: Indeed. I have some things as well.
>
> *Ajax State of the world white paper and slide deck*
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o Jon has a slide deck he gave recently that is mostly ready o Will
> send to marketing at openajax.org and steeringcommittee at openajax.org
> for review comments and approvals
>
> Jon: My current slide deck is largely factual, but with a
> cheerleading tone. Needs some cleanups. Then, turn it into text and
>  it becomes a white paper. Post both the white paper and the slide
> deck.
>
> Howard: Sounds positive.
>
> Mike: Yes, good marketing.
>
> Jon: Even though no Marketing WG, we still have the mailing list.
> What I was thinking was sending drafts to marketing at openajax.org
> for feedback, and then have Steering Committee decide on approval.
>
> Bertrand/Howard/David: Yes
>
> *Next face-to-face *
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o No good Ajax conferences to piggyback in spring o Not prepared
> for any big events in spring anyway (e.g., an InteropFest) o
> Proposal: wait until fall
>
> Howard: Could try a virtual face-to-face. Give an update on things
> going on via video conference.
>
> Jon/Howard: Need to package in an attractive manner so people will
> show up
>
> Howard: A few hours. Keep momentum going. Make sure topics are
> useful and relevant.
>
> Jeremy: Good idea. Maybe one on west coast and one on east coast?
>
> Mike: Another idea. 90 minute webinars for a status update.
> GotoWebinar hosts up to 1000 people. East Coast, West Coast still
> requires people to travel.
>
> Jon: Are they recorded so people can look at it later?
>
> Howard: Yes
>
> Mike: What is the extra benefit for members?
>
> Howard: Participation only for members, but public viewing?
>
> Jon/Howard: Best to have it after Hub and Metadata are done.
>
> Howard: Don't want to lose momentum.
>
> Jon: More than one? One for a status update, then follow-on ones
> that focus on particular technologies.
>
> Howard: Only for members would be a plus.
>
> Howard: Best if you block off big parts of a single day.
>
> Mike: Maybe repeat the webinar to address different time zones
>
> Jon: Is it complicated to set up?
>
> Mike: Drop dead simple
>
> Jon: I'll take the action to research options and send in proposals
>  for you to review
>
> Mike: I can explain gotowebinar.
>
> *OpenAjax Registry and OpenAjax Conformance*
>
> (Jon repeats the following points)
>
> o At F2F, agreed to finish these, but as lower priority activities.
> No recent progress
>
> Bertrand: I sent email about a tool that showed compatibility.
> Maybe we should talk to then about contributing their tool?
>
> Jon: I agree with all of this
>
> Bertrand: I can probe him about that?
>
> Jon: Yes, please
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> _______________________________________________ steeringcommittee
> mailing list steeringcommittee at openajax.org
> http://openajax.org/mailman/listinfo/steeringcommittee

- --
Kris Zyp
SitePen
(503) 806-1841
http://sitepen.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
 
iEYEARECAAYFAkmDnQwACgkQ9VpNnHc4zAwiQgCcDxz605SpqeCW+YhLzEz/YjOt
QXkAn0W1POwHWIDGaf4I8YpFBe3U6cGl
=xEkx
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



More information about the steeringcommittee mailing list