[OpenAjaxSteeringCommittee] URGENT: Please vote to approve minutes from today's phone call

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 30 16:33:52 PST 2009



Please reply +1 if you approve these minutes from today's phone call.

Thanks.
Jon

-----------------------------------------------


Steering Committee Minutes 2009-01-30


These minutes have not yet been approved.


URL:
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Steering_Committee_Minutes_2009-01-30

Attendees
      Mike Milinkovich, Eclipse Foundation
      David Boloker, IBM
      Jeremy Chone, Nexaweb
      Bertrand Le Roy, Microsoft
      Kevin Hakman, Aptana
      Jon Ferraiolo, IBM
      Howard Weingram, TIBCO
Agenda
      Agenda
            Rechartering approved for Interoperability WG and IDE WG
                  Reminder: we did not recharter Marketing WG
            OpenAjax Hub 1.1 (Interoperability WG)
                  In the midst of final API discussions
                  In the midst of final editorial work
                  Open source reference implementation tracking last-minute
                  spec changes
                  Test suite needs lots of work still, will be a major
                  focus in coming weeks
                  Shooting for starting approval process in March, with
                  press activity upon approval
            OpenAjax Metadata 1.0 (IDE WG)
                  Only a couple of picayune open issues
                  Final push: completion and review of final editorial text
                  Shooting for approval sometime soon after Hub 1.1, with
                  press activity upon approval
            Mashable Widgets features for OpenAjax Metadata (Gadgets TF)
                  Mashup/gadgets features were split off (temporarily?)
                  into separate spec
                  IBM is working on concrete proposals
                  Once we have concrete proposals, Gadgets TF will kick
                  back into gear
                  Once proposals are fleshed out in Gadgets TF, the TF will
                  create recommendations for how to turn into an official
                  spec
                        Probably as incremental chapter(s) to OpenAjax
                        Metadata spec, published by IDE WG
                        Depending on timing for OAM 1.0, might sneak in to
                        OAM 1.0 or might be quick update as a OAM 1.1
                  Dan Gisolfi is co-chair (with Stew Nickolas). Dan will
                  focus on marketing and evangelism.
            Mobile Device APIs (Mobile TF)
                  OMTP BONDI has detailed specs available, several
                  commercial implementation in progress
                  Expect BONDI press announcements at Mobile Web Congress
                  in February
                  Mobile TF will meet in next two weeks to provide feedback
                  on the spec (note: looks good to Jon so far)
            Mashup single-signon (Security TF)
                  Larry Kovek (Security TF chair) is assembling use cases,
                  requirements, and strawman proposals around single
                  signon, user authentication and authorization
                  So far, looks like Enterprise world needs both
                  OpenID/OAuth and SAML
                  Once discussion material is ready, Security TF will kick
                  back into gear
            Accessible Tools (Accessibility TF)
                  http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Accessibility
                  Objective: push the industry towards making more
                  accessible Ajax applications
                  Strawman deliverables: Best practice documents and
                  conformance validation tools
                  IBM is rounding up other companies to participate
            Second round browser wishlist
                  IE team has requested an update
                  Proposal: do a second round in early spring using as much
                  of old infrastructure as possible
            Ajax State of the world white paper and slide deck
                  Jon has a slide deck he gave recently that is mostly
                  ready
                  Will send to marketing at openajax.org and
                  steeringcommittee at openajax.org for review comments and
                  approvals
            Next face-to-face
                  No good Ajax conferences to piggyback in spring
                  Not prepared for any big events in spring anyway (e.g.,
                  an InteropFest)
                  Proposal: wait until fall
            OpenAjax Registry and OpenAjax Conformance
                  At F2F, agreed to finish these, but as lower priority
                  activities. No recent progress
Minutes

Rechartering approved for Interoperability WG and IDE WG


Jon: Just a reminder that you approved rechartering the Interop and IDE WGs
until end of 2009. They are finishing up work that was already under way.
The Marketing WG has expired. We can restore it if we need to. Any comments
or questions?


(none)


OpenAjax Hub 1.1 (Interoperability WG)


(Jon repeats the following points)
      In the midst of final API discussions
      In the midst of final editorial work
      Open source reference implementation tracking last-minute spec
      changes
      Test suite needs lots of work still, will be a major focus in coming
      weeks
      Shooting for starting approval process in March, with press activity
      upon approval


Jon: Howard has been very helpful in the InteropWG on Hub 1.1


Howard: Thanks


Jon: Big thing to work on is test suites. Javier and I will be spending
lots of time on that in February. We hope Howard will contribute somehow.
He made major contributions to testing for Hub 1.0


Jon: Questions or comments?


(none)


OpenAjax Metadata 1.0 (IDE WG)


(Jon repeats the following points)
      Only a couple of picayune open issues
      Final push: completion and review of final editorial text
      Shooting for approval sometime soon after Hub 1.1, with press
      activity upon approval


Jon: I am thinking that we try to finish OpenAjax Metadata about a month
after Hub 1.1, with separate announcements so that we have two press events
keeping OpenAjax in the news.


Howard: Good idea


Jon: Then look for opportunities throughout 2009 to have press about
adoption to keep things in the news and make sure the industry is aware
that others are jumping on board. I believe that there is an major
opportunity to affect the industry, and we have the technology, so the
thing we need to focus on is promotion.


Howard: Yes


Mashable Widgets features for OpenAjax Metadata (Gadgets TF)


(Jon repeats the following points)
      Mashup/gadgets features were split off (temporarily?) into separate
      spec
      IBM is working on concrete proposals
      Once we have concrete proposals, Gadgets TF will kick back into gear
      Once proposals are fleshed out in Gadgets TF, the TF will create
      recommendations for how to turn into an official spec
            Probably as incremental chapter(s) to OpenAjax Metadata spec,
            published by IDE WG
            Depending on timing for OAM 1.0, might sneak in to OAM 1.0 or
            might be quick update as a OAM 1.1
      Dan Gisolfi is co-chair (with Stew Nickolas). Dan will focus on
      marketing and evangelism.


Jon: We decided at the fall face-to-face to split off the mashup-related
features from the IDE features in OpenAjax Metadata so that the Gadgets TF
could study the features to see about whether there were ways to better
align with Google Gadgets. Nothing to show as yet, largely because I've
been busy on Hub and the IDE features. But some people at IBM are
converging on a concrete proposal. If other proposals appear, great, but
once there is a proposal, the Gadgets TF will resume work to push towards
consensus.


Jon: Once consensus on a spec is achieved, then they will recommend what to
do. Most likely, the recommendation will be to add extra chapters to the
IDE spec.


Jon: Dan Gisolfi of IBM has volunteered himself as co-chair. Dan has good
technical knowledge, but his big value-add will be on marketing and
industry evangelism. He has already made progress. Today, I saw a demo from
a company that he has worked with that demonstrated adoption of OpenAjax
Hub. I don't think I can mention them by name. But OK with Dan as co-chair?


Mike/Howard: Fine with me


David: Dan will be helping with outreach for OpenAjax on lots of fronts,
not just gadgets and mashups. Also, Hub 1.1.


Mobile Device APIs (Mobile TF)


(Jon repeats the following points)
      OMTP BONDI has detailed specs available, several commercial
      implementation in progress
      Expect BONDI press announcements at Mobile Web Congress in February
      Mobile TF will meet in next two weeks to provide feedback on the spec
      (note: looks good to Jon so far)


Jon: The Mobile Device API initiative done at OpenAjax last year looks like
a great technology transfer success. Building from our work, they now have
near complete APIs available, along with a handful of commercial
implementations. Lots of good momentum. Implementations are coming from
operators and smaller software companies, but last I heard, however, they
were still trying to get the browser vendors to implement. Looks like early
use cases will be around mobile widgets, versus mobile browsing.


Kevin: Ben and Dion are now at Mozilla. Maybe they can help make
connections to the Firebox team.


Howard: Might be a good starting point. Bertrand, how about the IE folks?


Bertrand: I will try again.


Jon: Due to mobile widget focus, might be good to talk to Windows Mobile
team, not just IE Mobile team.


Bertrand: OK


Mashup single-signon (Security TF)


(Jon repeats the following points)
      Larry Koved (Security TF chair) is assembling use cases,
      requirements, and strawman proposals around single signon, user
      authentication and authorization
      So far, looks like Enterprise world needs both OpenID/OAuth and SAML
      Once discussion material is ready, Security TF will kick back into
      gear


Howard: Have any emails been sent to the Security TF yet?


Jon: Not yet. Within next couple of weeks, thought


Howard: I will be interested


Jon: Good. I hoping that at a minimum we get IBM, SAP and TIBCO so we have
more than just an IBM perspective


Accessible Tools (Accessibility TF)


(Jon repeats the following points)
      http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Accessibility
      Objective: push the industry towards making more accessible Ajax
      applications
      Strawman deliverables: Best practice documents and conformance
      validation tools
      IBM is rounding up other companies to participate


Jon: Seems clear cut that this task force is OK, but let me ask if there
are any objections


Kevin: No objections. What is the start of the art around Ajax
accessibility versus proprietary RIA technologies? Is Dojo ahead?


David: Dojo widgets are accessible. Flash widgets have issues.


Kevin: Then this is an area where Ajax can garner favor. Bertrand, is Ajax
accessibility something that MS is pursuing.?


Bertrand: It's a requirement in many countries. Can't afford to ignore.


David: There is an accessibility conference this week. In accessibility on
the Web, IE with MSAA is the gold standard.


Bertrand: I can get MS accessibility involved


David: We have already connected with MS's accessibility people


Kevin: Task force in this area is great


Second round browser wishlist


(Jon repeats the following points)
      IE team has requested an update
      Proposal: do a second round in early spring using as much of old
      infrastructure as possible


Jon: Since IE8 is at RC, I am thinking that we should make this happen as
early as we can


Howard/Bertrand: Yes


Bertrand: What about existing features that aren't yet resolved? Reuse them
or make new features?


Jon: You mean like SVG/Canvas in IE?


Bertrand: Yes, like that one.


Jon: I haven't put much thinking into it yet, but something like renaming
all of the wiki pages from last year with "2008_" in front of the wiki page
name, and then copy the unresolved ones to new pages.


Jon: I was thinking we would reuse the same approaches, wiki and voting
page, to save setup time. This time I expect that there will be whole new
areas because we are one year smarter. For example, I would like to see
browser engine available in a manner that is better integrated with
desktop. Some overlaps with AIR.


Howard: Indeed. I have some things as well.


Ajax State of the world white paper and slide deck


(Jon repeats the following points)
      Jon has a slide deck he gave recently that is mostly ready
      Will send to marketing at openajax.org and
      steeringcommittee at openajax.org for review comments and approvals


Jon: My current slide deck is largely factual, but with a cheerleading
tone. Needs some cleanups. Then, turn it into text and it becomes a white
paper. Post both the white paper and the slide deck.


Howard: Sounds positive.


Mike: Yes, good marketing.


Jon: Even though no Marketing WG, we still have the mailing list. What I
was thinking was sending drafts to marketing at openajax.org for feedback, and
then have Steering Committee decide on approval.


Bertrand/Howard/David: Yes


Next face-to-face


(Jon repeats the following points)
      No good Ajax conferences to piggyback in spring
      Not prepared for any big events in spring anyway (e.g., an
      InteropFest)
      Proposal: wait until fall


Howard: Could try a virtual face-to-face. Give an update on things going on
via video conference.


Jon/Howard: Need to package in an attractive manner so people will show up


Howard: A few hours. Keep momentum going. Make sure topics are useful and
relevant.


Jeremy: Good idea. Maybe one on west coast and one on east coast?


Mike: Another idea. 90 minute webinars for a status update. GotoWebinar
hosts up to 1000 people. East Coast, West Coast still requires people to
travel.


Jon: Are they recorded so people can look at it later?


Howard: Yes


Mike: What is the extra benefit for members?


Howard: Participation only for members, but public viewing?


Jon/Howard: Best to have it after Hub and Metadata are done.


Howard: Don't want to lose momentum.


Jon: More than one? One for a status update, then follow-on ones that focus
on particular technologies.


Howard: Only for members would be a plus.


Howard: Best if you block off big parts of a single day.


Mike: Maybe repeat the webinar to address different time zones


Jon: Is it complicated to set up?


Mike: Drop dead simple


Jon: I'll take the action to research options and send in proposals for you
to review


Mike: I can explain gotowebinar.


OpenAjax Registry and OpenAjax Conformance


(Jon repeats the following points)
      At F2F, agreed to finish these, but as lower priority activities. No
      recent progress


Bertrand: I sent email about a tool that showed compatibility. Maybe we
should talk to then about contributing their tool?


Jon: I agree with all of this


Bertrand: I can probe him about that?


Jon: Yes, please
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://openajax.org/pipermail/steeringcommittee/attachments/20090130/73e47568/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the steeringcommittee mailing list