[OpenAjax] FINAL REMINDER on browser wishlist

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 8 11:45:34 PDT 2008

This is the last week for voting on the OpenAjax browser wishlist
initiative. To vote:

1) You need to create a wiki login for yourself. Instructions are at:

* http://www.openajax.org/runtime/wiki

2) After logging in to the runtime wiki, go to the following page to cast
your votes::

* http://www.openajax.org/runtime/wiki/Phase_II_Voting

Vote casting is simple: just pick a number from 0-10 for each feature using
a popup menu. The voting page uses Ajax behind the scenes to talk to a
server which logs the votes.

This initiative was an experiment to see if we could help get the Ajax
community to come together to identify their feelings about highest
priority features in future browsers. From my perspective, the initiative
has exceeded even the wildest expectations, both in terms of the quantity
and quality of the feature requests and the level of community
participation. Here are some statistics:

* 54 separate features have been described on the wiki
* 181 people have created wiki logins for themselves
* 101 people have cast votes on their favorite features

The list of features and a listing of all votes that have been cast to date
can be found at the following two pages:

* http://www.openajax.org/runtime/wiki/Feature_Requests_Summary_Page
* http://www.openajax.org/runtime/wiki/Phase_II_Voting_Details

Here is one of the press articles on the wishlist initiative:

*
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080701-four-things-that-need-fixing-to-secure-the-future-of-the-web.html

At this point, although we shouldn't take the voting too seriously nor too
literally, the features receiving the most votes are (in order):

* 2D Drawing/Vector Graphics
* Better Security for Cross-site Scripts
* HTML DOM Operation Performance in General
* Better APIs about positioning and styling
* The Two HTTP Connection Limit Issue
* Video and Audio
* Better UI Layout Support

Next week, Coach Wei will start to work on a summary report which we will
deliver to the browser teams.