[OpenAjaxMobile] Phone bridges

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 16 09:27:12 PST 2008

Hi Rotan, Chaals, Torkel and others,

At the moment I don't have any suggestions for how to lower expenses for
people calling in from Europe and Australia. I don't think Skype is a
viable option because (from what I can tell) it only supports 9 people on a
conference call and the moderator has to know which 9 people will be
attending and then actively dial each of the 9 people. Given how loosey
goosey things are at OpenAjax, I don't think such an approach is workable.
Because OpenAjax Alliance collects no fees and therefore has no money to
spend, it is dependent on the generosity of its members for phone bridges.
We have been using IBM's bridge, with IBM footing the bills. I am now
trying to figure out if there is another IBM voice bridge system with
toll-free European and Australian call-in numbers. (You'd think IBM would
have such a system, but it turns out that all internal phone calls use an
internal VOIP network.) For the time being, let's assume that I can't
figure out anything in time for this next phone call, therefore people
outside of the US will get punished, but I will try to find alternatives
that won't punish in the future. If anyone has suggestions for alternative
strategies, please speak up.

Jon

             "Rotan Hanrahan"
             <rotan.hanrahan at m
             obileaware.com>                                            To
             Sent by:                  "OpenAjax Alliance discussion list
             mobile-bounces at op         on Mobile Ajax"
             enajax.org                <mobile at openajax.org>
                                                                        cc

             01/16/2008 04:24                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [OpenAjaxMobile] Please RSVP:
                                       Proposed date/time for next
                                       phonecall
             Please respond to
             OpenAjax Alliance
              discussion list
              on Mobile Ajax
             <mobile at openajax.
                   org>

Totally agree :) We've cut teleconference costs substantially by using
VoIP. Of course, now the number of calls per week has gone up
substantially. The bridge for the Mobile TF will not accept an incoming
connection from a VoIP source, so this does present a bit of a problem.

Skype anyone?

---Rotan.