[OpenAjaxIDE] Minutes 2009-09-01

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 1 21:23:42 PDT 2009

IDE Minutes 2009 09 01

Attendees
      Jon Ferraiolo, IBM
      Lori Hylan-Cho
      Javier Pedemonte, IBM
      Kin Blas, Adobe

Minutes

REQUIRE type=inline

Lori: Seems like it should be more specific. Seems too general. You already
have different require types that are inline. How about require
type=comment.

Kin: But it may include script, style, or conditional comments

Lori: Maybe type=generic

Kin: type=markup

Javier: This would duplicate stuff we already have. It is making inline js
and css more general.

Lori: type=markup is probably the best

RESOLUTION: Add REQUIRE type=library

'type' and 'includeRef' on LIBRARY

Kin: If type not provided, then defaults to 'folder'

Jon: I liked Kin's proposal. Gets rid of the need to require a trailing
slash on 'src'

Javier: I'm worried about duplicated REQUIRE. Why not just add a 'library'
attribute to REQUIRE

Jon/Kin: (discuss why this approach is good and why we are leveraging
LIBRARY for relative URLs and how earlier discussion we decided we liked
containment for semantic reasons)

RESOLUTION: Add 'type' to LIBRARY. Defaults to 'folder'.

Lori: Why add 'includeRef'

Kin: You may be pulling it in programmatically. Not likely today, but could
be possible.

Lori: That's why we took it out. Couldn't come up with a real-world
example. If we put it into spec, need to put in a description of the use
case.

RESOLUTION: Restore 'includeRef' on LIBRARY but include a note in spec that
describes why it is there.

API Metadata chapter

Lori: Part way through. I fixed some minor editing things. One question:
which elements does ALIAS apply to?

(discussion of singleton, interface, mixin. then discussion of method and
property)

Jon: Doesn't make sense to interface and mixin because they are only
referenced. For method and property, unlikely to be used. If we put it in
the spec, probably wouldn't be implemented because it would be some work
and unlikely to see content with it.

RESOLUTION: Alias only for class and singleton.

(then discussion of returnType for constructor)

Jon: I think we made a mistake earlier. Because JS is general, and anything
could be returned from a constructor, we decided to require a returnType
for completeness. But 99% of the time the constructor returns an instance
of the class. We should redefine it so that if no returnType then defaults
to instance of class.

RESOLUTION: Default returntype for constructor is instance of a class

Lori will fix the spec.

Next week

continue API Metadata chapter