[OpenAjaxIDE] date formatting

Adam Peller apeller at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 20 09:02:51 PDT 2009

alternatively:

<property name='mindate' datatype='Date' format='date'/>
<javascript location="afterContent">
function yuiFormat(d){return mdate.getMonth()+"/"+mdate.getDay
()+"/"+mdate.getFullYear(); }
var calwidget = new YAHOO.whatever.calendar({...mindate:yuiFormat
(@@mindate@@)...});
</javascript>

which I think reads pretty well.  One open issue is whether we'd be dealing
with UTC or local time once the substitutions take place.  I suspect we'll
have to work in UTC to be consistent.  (Granted, it's a JS gotcha, but
we're not out to eliminate all of those)

             Jon
             Ferraiolo/Menlo
             Park/IBM at IBMUS                                             To
             Sent by:                  "ide at openajax.org"
             ide-bounces at opena         <ide at openajax.org>
             jax.org                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/20/2009 10:56          Re: [OpenAjaxIDE] date formatting
             AM

If we add another attribute, its name should reflect that the attribute
only applies to formatting dates versus other datatypes. Therefore, instead
of 'formatString', the attribute should be named something like
'formatDate', 'dateFormat' or 'dateResultFormat'. (The latter one is long,
but re-inforces that we are formatting on the property editor result rather
than the input value that is given the property editor.)

But like Adam I would like to see side-by-side comparisons of how the OAM
file would look if we added a new attribute versus pushing this feature
into something that has to be done via JavaScript. I'll take a crack at it.

With a 'dateResultFormat' attribute:

<property name='mindate' datatype='String' format='date'
dateResultFormat='MM/DD/YYYY'/>
<javascript location="afterContent">
var calwidget = new YAHOO.whatever.calendar({...mindate:@@mindate@@...});
</javascript>

Without a 'dateResultFormat' attribute:

<property name='mindate' datatype='Date' format='date'/>
<javascript location="afterContent">
var mdate = @@mindate@@;
var mdate_string = mdate.getMonth()+"/"+mdate.getDay
()+"/"+mdate.getFullYear();
var calwidget = new YAHOO.whatever.calendar({...mindate:mdate_string...});
</javascript>

Jon

Inactive hide details for Lori Hylan-Cho ---08/19/2009 10:41:14 PM---I
agree with Kin that we shouldn't make widget developers Lori Hylan-Cho
---08/19/2009 10:41:14 PM---I agree with Kin that we shouldn't make widget
developers (or oam.xml file writers, who may not be