[OpenAjaxIDE] Agenda for tomorrow: Review Widget Metadata chapter

Adam Peller apeller at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 10 19:34:56 PDT 2009

So the dojox date routines are largely experimental and not
well-internationalized.  The DojoX stuff was contributed by someone who
simply had to have PHP and Posix notations, and the other stuff in there is
for non-Gregorian calendars -- let's not go there! ;-)

Dojo's supported date routines, FWIW, are in dojo.date, and follow the Java
DateFormat convention mostly so that they can leverage the Unicode CLDR
table, which has the kind of localization data Bertrand mentions -- a
complete table for literally hundreds of locales and languages.  The
developer typically would not want to provide a format string at all, since
it would defeat localization.  Instead, the request would usually be to
format a Date object using "short", "medium" or "long" formats for a
particular locale.

It's complicated to do a complete job at Date i18n.  The logic to format
according to date strings isn't that bad (Steve Souders has a nice library
for this also, fwiw)  The hardest part is those data tables, which seem to
require a lot of maintenance, and a scheme for selecting and packaging the
right one.  Doing just a little i18n or hard-coding a few locales, as most
JS Date utilities do, doesn't seem like a worthwhile solution IMO.  It
would also be a shame to duplicate a function that is likely going to be
reimplemented by a library somewhere else on the page.   Any chance this is
something we can avoid or defer to toolkits or server environments with a
more generic formatting function?

-Adam

             Jon
             Ferraiolo/Menlo
             Park/IBM at IBMUS                                             To
             Sent by:                  "Steve Repetti"
             ide-bounces at opena         <steve at radwebtech.com>
             jax.org                                                    cc
                                       ide-bounces at openajax.org,
                                       ide at openajax.org
             08/04/2009 03:12                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [OpenAjaxIDE] Agenda for
                                       tomorrow: Review Widget   Metadata
                                       chapter

Two questions:

* Internationalization: Aren't there complexities with date formatting
having to do with the current locale? The dojox logic includes several
files having to do with internationalization, including a few Hebrew*.js
and IslamicDate.js (545 lines of JS).

* Code size: Does anyone have is a guesstimate about how many lines of
JavaScript code would be needed to implement @@dataformat()@@. Steve's
features appear to be a subset of the PHP features. Our open source widget
loader is 1760 lines of JavaScript. The dojox file that implements PHP's
date features is 308 lines, but when you add in the Hebrew and Islamic
stuff, the dojox date routines will be roughly the same size as the rest of
the widget loader.

Jon

Inactive hide details for "Steve Repetti" ---08/04/2009 11:29:30 AM---I
have written an xDate JavaScript class which does a ton"Steve Repetti"
---08/04/2009 11:29:30 AM---I have written an xDate JavaScript class which
does a ton of date formatting, and includes an extern