[OpenAjaxIDE] Agenda for tomorrow: Review Widget Metadata chapter

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 4 12:12:12 PDT 2009

Two questions:

* Internationalization: Aren't there complexities with date formatting
having to do with the current locale? The dojox logic includes several
files having to do with internationalization, including a few Hebrew*.js
and IslamicDate.js (545 lines of JS).

* Code size: Does anyone have is a guesstimate about how many lines of
JavaScript code would be needed to implement @@dataformat()@@. Steve's
features appear to be a subset of the PHP features. Our open source widget
loader is 1760 lines of JavaScript. The dojox file that implements PHP's
date features is 308 lines, but when you add in the Hebrew and Islamic
stuff, the dojox date routines will be roughly the same size as the rest of
the widget loader.

Jon

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Steve Repetti" <steve at radwebtech.com>                                                                                                   |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"'Kin Blas'" <jblas at adobe.com>, <ide at openajax.org>                                                                                       |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |08/04/2009 11:29 AM                                                                                                                      |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Re: [OpenAjaxIDE] Agenda for tomorrow: Review Widget Metadata     chapter                                                                |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |ide-bounces at openajax.org                                                                                                                 |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have written an xDate JavaScript class which does a ton of date
formatting, and includes an externalized function dateFormat( dte, fstr ):

                // Supported formats:

                // mm   = month as "1"
dd   = day as "1"                                                YY   = day
as "01"
                // MM   = month as "01"
DD   = day as "01"                                             YYYY = day
as "2001"
                // MMM  = month as "Jan"
DDD  = day as "1st"
                // MMMM = month as "January"
DDDD = day as "Saturday"

                // time:
                // hh   = hour as "05" (12-hour clock)       MN = minutes
as "01"                    ap   = am/pm as "am"
                // HH   = hour as "17" (24-hour clock)      SS = seconds as
"01"                       AP   = am/pm as "AM"
                //
SSSS = milliseconds as "0001"

As in:     dateFormat( null, “The date is MMMM, DD, YYYY  and the time is
HH:MN:SS” )

I would be more than happy to donate it to the cause if anyone wants (I
wrote it as part of my www.xwinlib.com library).

Let me know,

Steve Repetti
www.radwebtech.com