[OpenAjaxIDE] SHOULD use UTF-8 encoding

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 23 15:16:38 PDT 2009

Javier is implementing the substitution features from the metadata spec in
our open source project and discovered that the spec doesn't say anything
about encodings.

Two other specs in the same space, OpenAjax Hub 2.0 and OpenSocial Gadgets,
include language that says (in effect) you SHOULD use UTF-8 encoding. Here
is the URL of the section we included in the (recently approved!) Hub 2.0
spec:

http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/OpenAjax_Hub_2.0_Specification_Best_Practices#Charsets_and_UTF-8
-----------
Charsets and UTF-8

Manager Applications and Client Applications SHOULD use UTF-8 charset for
all files and data to minimize potential charset conflicts when integrated
with other software. This includes the charset value on the META tag,
charset values on HTTP headers, and the charset used when encoding URLs.
-----------

I propose that we include a similar section in the metadata spec within
Chapter 1: Introduction. For example:
Charsets, Encoding and UTF-8

OpenAjax Metadata files, including any localization message bundle files,
SHOULD use UTF-8 encoding for all files and data to maximize portability
and to minimize potential charset conflicts when integrated with other
software.

I added my proposal to the Introduction chapter with a red-colored note so
that we remember to review it.