[OpenAjaxIDE] No meeting today - postponed to next week

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 15 14:57:52 PDT 2009

Hi Kin,
Thanks for the response! Given that Dreamweaver has implemented

@@bar@@
@@entityencode(bar)@@
@@escapequotes(bar)@@

and given that we recently reopened the syntax issue and decided to keep @@
and %%, my vote is that we decide that the @@ syntax approaches are cast in
concrete and then address how to due localization substitution given the
above. I see three options:

(a) Keep what we have with %%, (I'm against that given how this is very
problematic for one of our key early adopters.)
(b) Replace %% with a different two-character sequence for localization,
such as ##. For example, ##MyLocalizationVar##
(c) Adopt OpenSocial's localization variable approach:
__MSG_MyLocalizationVar__

For (c), given that the @@ stuff is solid concrete, and seeing your ideas
about offering other "functions" in the future (e.g., formatdate), then the
natural approach to achieve entityencode() and escapequotes() in OpenSocial
syntax would be:

__entityencode(MSG_MyLocalizationVar)__
__escapequotes(MSG_MyLocalizationVar)__

which isn't very intuitive if you ask me. It would be more understandable
to do something like __entityencode(__MSG_MyLocalizationVar__)__, but that
wouldn't be parallel with @@entityencode(bar)@@.

Therefore, I'm inclined to go for (b): simply replace %% with ##.

Jon