[OpenAjaxIDE] Handling 'default' values for properties

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 23 12:20:49 PDT 2008

Javier,
I think I found the previous discussion. It was about the 'multiple'
attribute for the <options> element:

http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/OpenAjax_Metadata_Specification_Datatypes#options_element

The above feature is related but not totally on target. For the 'multiple'
option, we have text that says that the value for an array must really be
an array (versus a JSON representation of an array as a string).

Your proposals below make sense to me.

             Ferraiolo/Menlo
             Park/IBM at IBMUS                                             To
             Sent by:                  Javier H Pedemonte/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
             ide-bounces at opena                                          cc
             jax.org                   ide at openajax.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [OpenAjaxIDE] Handling 'default'
             09/23/2008 11:37          values for properties
             AM

Hi Javier,
I am forwarding this to the IDE WG list so that we can discuss this at
today's phone call. I'll have to do some research. I am pretty sure we had
a discussion recently on a related subject, but my memory is failing me
right now.

Jon

Inactive hide details for Javier H Pedemonte/Austin/IBMJavier H
Pedemonte/Austin/IBM

Did the IDE/Gadgets groups ever discuss the format for the 'default'
attribute on the property elements?  Since it has to be a string, we can
treat the default values as either a string or as a JSON encoded string.

Here's what I came up with, and what I'm trying to get working in the
refimpl:

DATATYPE                             DEFAULT VALUE HANDLED AS
String                                  string
Date                                    string that can be passed
                                          to Date()
RegExp                                  string that can be passed
                                          to RegExp()
Boolean
Number
Object                                  JSON
Array
*
multiples
JS class name N/A ('default' attr ignored
                                         since JS class constructor
                                         provides default values)