[OpenAjaxIDE] <require> type attribute values ...

Howard Weingram weingram at tibco.com
Fri Sep 12 13:52:43 PDT 2008

Hi.

Much of what we are doing in widget.xml is about defining
the "interface" contract between the widget and its environment (though
there are exceptions). Your question is valid; we should specify whether

<requires> is part of that contract or whether it is some kind of
manifest
of a widget's internal implementation assets.

I see <requires> as defining a portion of the contract between.
This contract is not concerned with the contents of the widget;
it is a declaration that specifies what the environment must provide
in order for the widget to function when embedded in that environment.

As such, <requires> does not list every one of the widget's internal
HTML, JavaScript, XML or image files (particularly as some of these may
be dynamically generated at run-time or retrieved from servers
based on dynamic URLs). Rather, <requires> only lists the files that
the external canvas/environment must provide so that the widget will
work properly.

So why do we include images in <requires>? As I understand it,
a widget's <require> should ONLY list images that are defined externally
the widget. For example, suppose that a family of widgets is
"skinnable."
All widgets in the family depend on an external "skin" asset associated
with the context in which the widgets are embedded (the site, page, IDE,
or
whatever. The "skin" must provide an image (user.png) that represents a
user. The image is not baked into any of the widgets; rather, all of the

widgets need the environment / canvas to provide the image. Most of the
time the "skin" is probably defined as a folder, but sometimes we may
want
to be more specific.

In general, I don't see flash movies and the like being required for
this purpose.
Maybe sounds... .

Does everyone else see <requires> as a contract specification?

Best Regards,
Howard