[OpenAjaxIDE] more optional/required attributes

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 10 09:04:13 PDT 2008

Hi Lori,
I looked at JSDoc and it says that the type value is optional on @returns.
(http://jsdoctoolkit.org/wiki/?page=returns) Therefore, it seems to me that
we should try to make 'datatype' on our <returns> element optional, also.
But that raises the question about what is the default 'datatype' for
<returns> in case 'datatype' is not specified. I would guess "*" is the
best default value for 'datatype' on <returns>.

Regarding <exception>, once again JSDoc says that the type is optional on
@throws, so once again I think we should make datatype optional on
<exception>. I would guess that 'Error' would be the best default value for
'datatype' on <exception>.

Hi again

Our developer came across two other attributes that are listed as optional
in the API metadata spec but that we need to be required. Actually, they're
the same attribute -- datatype -- on two different tags. One is <returns>,
which we discussed today. It seems like datatype is the whole reason for
the <returns> tag's existence. (As we talked about today, paramType and
paramValue, the two new attributes for <returns>, can be optional.)

The other tag is <exception>, where we think datatype is also essential.

Let me know if anyone disagrees.

Lori Hylan-Cho             Ajax Wrangler        Aptana, Inc.
lorihc at aptana.com          650.207.1905         avocadoh (Y!/AIM/GTalk).
IDE mailing list
IDE at openajax.org