[OpenAjaxIDE] more optional/required attributes

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 10 09:04:13 PDT 2008

Hi Lori,
I looked at JSDoc and it says that the type value is optional on @returns.
(http://jsdoctoolkit.org/wiki/?page=returns) Therefore, it seems to me that
we should try to make 'datatype' on our <returns> element optional, also.
But that raises the question about what is the default 'datatype' for
<returns> in case 'datatype' is not specified. I would guess "*" is the
best default value for 'datatype' on <returns>.

Regarding <exception>, once again JSDoc says that the type is optional on
@throws, so once again I think we should make datatype optional on
<exception>. I would guess that 'Error' would be the best default value for
'datatype' on <exception>.

Jon

Hi again

Our developer came across two other attributes that are listed as optional
in the API metadata spec but that we need to be required. Actually, they're
the same attribute -- datatype -- on two different tags. One is <returns>,
which we discussed today. It seems like datatype is the whole reason for
the <returns> tag's existence. (As we talked about today, paramType and
paramValue, the two new attributes for <returns>, can be optional.)

The other tag is <exception>, where we think datatype is also essential.

Let me know if anyone disagrees.