[OpenAjaxIDE] API metadata: multiple returns

Bertrand Le Roy Bertrand.Le.Roy at microsoft.com
Thu Aug 28 13:43:21 PDT 2008

Hi,

Factory methods are quite tricky because the return type is pretty much runtime information. Surfacing that on the metadata pretty much amounts to reproducing parts of the function implementation as metadata.
The simplest option is of course to just use Object as the return type. Not great.
We could have some form of expression that could depend on parameters (something like type="{{typeName}}" where typeName is the name of the parameter) but it could get complex quite fast.
Also, if you had such an expression for a type, how do you express the Google example below and differentiate it from the following:
$create(Sys.UI.DataView, ...)
where the return type is not expressed as a string but as the type object itself?
Generally, there are few good reasons to have varying return types, but here's another one: JSON deserialization into a specific type (not something I'd recommend myself but it's a common enough practice). In that case, it's even trickier because the return type might be buried more or less deep into one of the parameters.

Thanks,
Bertrand