[OpenAjaxIDE] API metadata: multiple returns

Lori Hylan-Cho lorihc at aptana.com
Thu Aug 28 12:53:25 PDT 2008

hi all

I know we've been focusing on the widget[/gadget/mashup] metadata lately, but at Aptana we're starting to work on implementing the API metadata, and I have some questions about that. (It seemed like we finished with the API metadata months ago, but the spec's still pretty short on details and long on TO BE WRITTENs.)

The first thing I need guidance on is multiple return types. Currently we have a <returns> tag that doesn't have a plural container (probably because the verb "returns" already ends in s). Are we going to allow multiple <returns> tags as children of <constructor>, <method>, etc.? There are a couple libraries I can think of off the top of my head that need this -- and one at least will also need a way to indicate which return type applies to which case. For example, in Google gears, the Factory.create() method creates various objects based on the string passed to it.

  // Instantiate Gears objects
  var db = google.gears.factory.create('beta.database');
  db.open();

In this case, db is a Database object, but if I had passed "beta.desktop", I'd have gotten a Desktop object, "beta.localserver" would have given me a LocalServer object, etc. It'd be great if the metadata could express a relationship between the argument and the return value, but I don't have a good idea of how to do that.

cheers,
Lori

Lori Hylan-Cho
Ajax Wrangler