[OpenAjaxIDE] Fw: Allowing inline message bundles (was "Localization")

Rich Thompson richt2 at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 20 07:24:05 PDT 2008

This looks like it will meet our needs nicely ... thanks

Rich

From:
Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM
To:
Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM
Cc:
<ide at openajax.org>
Date:
Fw: [OpenAjaxIDE] Allowing inline message bundles (was "Localization")

Hi Rich,
Is this proposal OK with you? At the IDE phone call today, we wanted to
make sure that this proposal met your needs. If so, I'll add it to the
spec.

----- Forwarded by Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM on 08/19/2008 05:54 PM
-----

Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS
Sent by: ide-bounces at openajax.org
08/13/2008 10:31 AM

ide at openajax.org

[OpenAjaxIDE] Allowing inline message bundles (was "Localization")

There was tentative agreement at Tuesday's phone call to allow the ability
to include message bundles inline within the metadata content in order to
address potential network download performance problems. I promised to
launch email discussion about the technical details.

As a reminder, we have adopted Google Gadget's localization file
approaches, which they call "message bundles", as documented at:
http://code.google.com/apis/gadgets/docs/i18n.html. We have also adopted
their file format naming conventions, with names such as "en_us.xml",
"en_ALL.xml" and "ALL_ALL.xml".

Here is my strawman proposal for how to allow inline message bundles:

(1) We just duplicate the <messagebundle> and <msg> elements from Google
Gadgets into our grammar. This will allow something like this:

<widget xmlns="http://openajax.org/metadata">
__<messagebundle lang="en_ALL">
____<msg name="hello">Hello</msg>
__</messagebundle>
__<messagebundle lang="fr_ALL">
____<msg name="hello">Bonjour</msg>
__</messagebundle>
</widget>

(2) We add a 'lang' attribute to the <messagebundle> element to indicate
the language/country for the message bundle. The value of the 'locale'
attribute matches the file naming convention for the basename for the
Google Gadgets localization files.

Comments?