[OpenAjaxIDE] Fw: Allowing inline message bundles (was "Localization")

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 19 17:55:23 PDT 2008

Hi Rich,
Is this proposal OK with you? At the IDE phone call today, we wanted to
make sure that this proposal met your needs. If so, I'll add it to the
spec.

----- Forwarded by Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM on 08/19/2008 05:54 PM
-----

             Jon
             Ferraiolo/Menlo
             Park/IBM at IBMUS                                             To
             Sent by:                  ide at openajax.org
             ide-bounces at opena                                          cc
             jax.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [OpenAjaxIDE] Allowing inline
             08/13/2008 10:31          message bundles (was
             AM                        "Localization")

There was tentative agreement at Tuesday's phone call to allow the ability
to include message bundles inline within the metadata content in order to
address potential network download performance problems. I promised to
launch email discussion about the technical details.

As a reminder, we have adopted Google Gadget's localization file
approaches, which they call "message bundles", as documented at:
http://code.google.com/apis/gadgets/docs/i18n.html. We have also adopted
their file format naming conventions, with names such as "en_us.xml",
"en_ALL.xml" and "ALL_ALL.xml".

Here is my strawman proposal for how to allow inline message bundles:

(1) We just duplicate the <messagebundle> and <msg> elements from Google
Gadgets into our grammar. This will allow something like this:

<widget xmlns=",http://openajax.org/metadata">
__<messagebundle lang="en_ALL">
____<msg name="hello">Hello</msg>
__</messagebundle>
__<messagebundle lang="fr_ALL">
____<msg name="hello">Bonjour</msg>
__</messagebundle>
</widget>

(2) We add a 'lang' attribute to the <messagebundle> element to indicate
the language/country for the message bundle. The value of the 'locale'
attribute matches the file naming convention for the basename for the
Google Gadgets localization files.

Comments?