[OpenAjaxIDE] Widget constructors - property bag *not* passed

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 13 13:07:24 PDT 2008

As we worked on the reference implementation, we discovered that there was
no need to pass a property bag to the widget constructor, as we have talked
about in the past. The widget can simply call
widgetwrapper.getPropertyValue() for any property values that it needs, and
can make the call to getPropertyValue() at the time when the widget needs
the information. Another approach to getting property values is to take
advantage of the @@foo@@ macro substitution feature by including something
like <javascript>var backgroundcolor='@@bgcolor@@';</javascript>

In our reference implementation, we maintain copies of property values on
both sides (i.e., one copy in the mashup editor and one copy in the widget
itself), so when a widget calls getPropertyValue(), there is negligible
performance impact. It seems likely that other implementations would use a
similar approach.

Does anyone see any problems with removing the preliminary section in the
spec  (i.e., still has red-colored comments) that talks about passing the
property bag to the widget constructor? To me, this is a vestigial section
that no longer makes sense. Here is the section of the spec that I propose
to remove:

*
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/OpenAjax_Metadata_Specification_Widget_Metadata#Widget_properties_and_widget_constructor_arguments

If no one objects by the end of the week, I'll remove this section.