[OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect properties - must have datatype of array

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 12 11:37:22 PDT 2008

I should point out that Aaron proposed something similar several emails
back:

* http://openajax.org/pipermail/ide/2008q3/000606.html

             Jon
             Ferraiolo/Menlo
             Park/IBM at IBMUS                                             To
             Sent by:                  ide at openajax.org
             ide-bounces at opena                                          cc
             jax.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect
             08/12/2008 11:18          properties - must have datatype of
             AM                        array

I believe we should not ignore MS's requirements, and therefore I am in
favor of finding a way to provide for bitfields. I don't like the
@operator. That just seems too much. Here is a simpler proposal:

* If multiple="true", then 'datatype' must be either Array or a Number
* If multiple="true" and datatype="Number", then the option values must be
positive integers (usually, powers of 2), and the ultimate value of the
property consists of an integer that holds the result of OR'ing together
the values for all selected options

Jon

Inactive hide details for Aaron Reed/Austin/IBMAaron Reed/Austin/IBM

                         Aaron
                         Reed/Au
                         stin/IB

                         08/11/2              Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo
                         008                  Park/IBM at IBMUS
                         03:55
                         PM                                             cc

                                              ide at openajax.org

                                                                   Subject

                                              Fw: [OpenAjaxIDE]
                                              Multiselect properties -
                                              must have datatype of array

Dojo introduced a multi-select, it is in 1.1.1. But it is little more than
a wrapper for the HTML control. And it really isn't just a SELECT element,
a multiply selectable list could also be represented by a group of
checkboxes which is reasonably common on the web, too. Now, finding an
example of an UNCONSTRAINED multiply selectable control on almost any
platform is quite difficult. That might be a combination that implementors
would punt on.

Not that I really have much stake in the game or anything, but I would
argue that if there is any value at all to having a datatype of Array or
[], then I think that the spec probably needs to allow the user a way to
actually generate the data for that array.

--Aaron
IBM Corporation
Internal Zip: 9022D016
11501 Burnet Road
Austin, TX 78758
(512)838-9948
inet: aaronr at us.ibm.com
_
(} @
|= Volleyball Rules!!!
/\

Inactive hide details for Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUSJon
Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS

                         Jon
                         Ferraiolo/M
                         enlo
                         Park/IBM at IB
                         MUS                                            To
                         Sent by:
                         ide-bounces             ide <ide at openajax.org"
                         @openajax.o             <ide at openajax.org>">
                         rg
                                                                        cc

                         08/11/2008
                         05:31 PM                                  Subject

                                                 Re: [OpenAjaxIDE]
                                                 Multiselect properties -
                                                 must have datatype of
                                                 array

After thinking about this one some more and doing some research, we need to
ask ourselves whether it makes sense to drop the 'multiple' attribute on
the <options> element. Yes, HTML's SELECT element allows multiple
selections, but none of the following systems offers the feature:
Dojo/Dijit, YUI, ExtJS, Spry, and the EnumValues feature in Google Gadgets,
Unless my research is wrong, it looks as if the lack of multi-select hasn't
harmed these other major UI systems. If we drop 'multiple' and someone
needs multi-select for a property, then among their alternatives would be
to find a clever way to use the other features (e.g., represent your
multi-select as a series of boolean properties) and/or create a custom
property editor.

Jon

Inactive hide details for Wayne Vicknair/Austin/IBMWayne
Vicknair/Austin/IBM

                    Wayne
                    Vicknair/A
                    ustin/IBM

                    08/07/2008
                    12:16 PM          Bertrand Le Roy
                                      <Bertrand.Le.Roy at microsoft.com>

                                                                        cc

                                      "ide at openajax.org"
                                      <ide at openajax.org>,
                                      "ide-bounces at openajax.org"
                                      <ide-bounces at openajax.org>, Jon
                                      Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS

                                                                   Subject

                                      RE: [OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect
                                      properties - must have datatype of
                                      arrayJon Ferraiolo

OK. I get it. I think we need a new tag to describe "flags". The enums plus
bitwise operations are definitely a useful idiom to model. It seems like
we're trying to get too much out of <options> which was intended to model
HTML <select> behavior.

BTW, the values I described are already in metadata in our widget property
test cases.

Cheers,
Wayne
Wayne E. Vicknair
Consulting Product Design Professional
IBM SWG Emerging Internet Technologies
Office: 512.838.0707 Email: waynev at us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Bertrand Le Roy ---08/07/2008 01:22:30
PM---That's not the same thing. In both of the cases you descrBertrand Le
Roy ---08/07/2008 01:22:30 PM---That's not the same thing. In both of the
cases you describe, the valid values are determined by the application
developer, not

               Bertrand Le Roy
               <Bertrand.Le.Roy at mic
               rosoft.com>

                                           Wayne Vicknair/Austin/IBM at IBMUS

                                                                        cc

                                           "ide at openajax.org"
                                           <ide at openajax.org>,
                                           "ide-bounces at openajax.org"
                                           <ide-bounces at openajax.org>, Jon
                                           Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS%

                                                                   Subject

                                           RE: [OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect
                                           properties - must have datatype
                                           of array

That's not the same thing. In both of the cases you describe, the valid
values are determined by the application developer, not by the framework
developer. The values for what you describe will *never* end up in the
metadata.