[OpenAjaxIDE] Fw: Multiselect properties - must have datatype of array

Aaron Reed aaronr at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 11 15:55:56 PDT 2008

Dojo introduced a multi-select, it is in 1.1.1.  But it is little more than
a wrapper for the HTML control.  And it really isn't just a SELECT element,
a multiply selectable list could also be represented by a group of
checkboxes which is reasonably common on the web, too.  Now, finding an
example of an UNCONSTRAINED multiply selectable control on almost any
platform is quite difficult.  That might be a combination that implementors
would punt on.
Not that I really have much stake in the game or anything, but I would
argue that if there is any value at all to having a datatype of Array or
[], then I think that the spec probably needs to allow the user a way to
actually generate the data for that array.

--Aaron
IBM Corporation
Internal Zip: 9022D016
11501 Burnet Road
Austin, TX 78758
(512)838-9948
inet: aaronr at us.ibm.com
  _
 (} @
 |=     Volleyball Rules!!!
/\

             Jon
             Ferraiolo/Menlo
             Park/IBM at IBMUS                                             To
             Sent by:                  ide <ide at openajax.org"
             ide-bounces at opena         <ide at openajax.org>">
             jax.org                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/11/2008 05:31          Re: [OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect
             PM                        properties - must have datatype of
                                       array

After thinking about this one some more and doing some research, we need to
ask ourselves whether it makes sense to drop the 'multiple' attribute on
the <options> element. Yes, HTML's SELECT element allows multiple
selections, but none of the following systems offers the feature:
Dojo/Dijit, YUI, ExtJS, Spry, and the EnumValues feature in Google Gadgets,
Unless my research is wrong, it looks as if the lack of multi-select hasn't
harmed these other major UI systems. If we drop 'multiple' and someone
needs multi-select for a property, then among their alternatives would be
to find a clever way to use the other features (e.g., represent your
multi-select as a series of boolean properties) and/or create a custom
property editor.

Jon

Inactive hide details for Wayne Vicknair/Austin/IBMWayne
Vicknair/Austin/IBM

  Wayne
  Vicknair/Austin/IBM

  08/07/2008 12:16 PM                                                   To

                                Bertrand Le Roy
                                <Bertrand.Le.Roy at microsoft.com>

                                                                        cc

                                "ide at openajax.org" <ide at openajax.org>,
                                "ide-bounces at openajax.org"
                                <ide-bounces at openajax.org>, Jon
                                Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS

                                                                   Subject

                                RE: [OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect properties -
                                must have datatype of arrayJon Ferraiolo

OK. I get it. I think we need a new tag to describe "flags". The enums plus
bitwise operations are definitely a useful idiom to model. It seems like
we're trying to get too much out of <options> which was intended to model
HTML <select> behavior.

BTW, the values I described are already in metadata in our widget property
test cases.

Cheers,
Wayne
Wayne E. Vicknair
Consulting Product Design Professional
IBM SWG Emerging Internet Technologies
Office: 512.838.0707 Email: waynev at us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Bertrand Le Roy ---08/07/2008 01:22:30
PM---That's not the same thing. In both of the cases you descrBertrand Le
Roy ---08/07/2008 01:22:30 PM---That's not the same thing. In both of the
cases you describe, the valid values are determined by the application
developer, not

                         Bert
                         rand
                         Le
                         Roy
                         <Ber                                           To
                         tran
                         d.Le        Wayne Vicknair/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
                         .Roy
                         @mic                                           cc
                         roso
                         ft.c        "ide at openajax.org"
                         om>         <ide at openajax.org>,
                                     "ide-bounces at openajax.org"
                                     <ide-bounces at openajax.org>, Jon
                         08/0        Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS
                         7/08
                         01:2                                      Subject
                         1 PM
                                     RE: [OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect
                                     properties - must have datatype of
                                     array

That's not the same thing. In both of the cases you describe, the valid
values are determined by the application developer, not by the framework
developer. The values for what you describe will *never* end up in the
metadata.