[OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect properties - must have datatype of array

Aaron Reed aaronr at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 7 10:04:13 PDT 2008

@format="bitwise" has a very 'special case' feel to it.  Why not just say
that if the datatype is an array, then the selected options will be
returned in an array and that if the datatype is not an array, then the
values will go through an additive process (if appropriate) based on the
datatype.  For example, string values would be concatenated (in document
order, values separated by a single space), arrays could be merged into a
single array and number values would be added (author could certainly
choose to make the values 'unique powers of 2' to cover the bitflag
scenario).  Even if the other examples I noted aren't found to be useful,
I'd think the additive capability with multiply selectable numbers could be
useful beyond the world of bit flags.

--Aaron
IBM Corporation
Internal Zip: 9022D016
11501 Burnet Road
Austin, TX 78758
(512)838-9948
inet: aaronr at us.ibm.com
  _
 (} @
 |=     Volleyball Rules!!!
/\

             Jon
             Ferraiolo/Menlo
             Park/IBM at IBMUS                                             To
             Sent by:                  Wayne Vicknair/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
             ide-bounces at opena                                          cc
             jax.org                   "ide at openajax.org"
                                       <ide at openajax.org>
                                                                   Subject
             08/07/2008 10:49          Re: [OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect
             AM                        properties - must have datatype of
                                       array

There are lots of ways to address this requirement. Here are two that come
to mind:

Option 1: Do nothing special in the metadata spec to address Bertrand's
performance concern. Microsoft's property manager logic would recognize
that it is working with its own widgets somehow and provide a more
efficient code path that uses bitfields instead of arrays. (Bertrand would
have to say whether this option is feasible for MS's products)

Option 2: Add a new 'bitfield' type for the 'format' attribute, so you
would have <options datatype="Number" format="bitfield">. We explain that
if format="bitfield", then the 'value' attributes on the <option> element
must be unique powers of 2, such as <option value="1">, <option value="2">,
<option value="4">, etc, and require that tools save a Number (more
specifically, an integer) into the property storage system.

There are other options. I'm willing to go along with most everything so
long as we make a reasonable attempt to avoid unnecessary vendor-specific
features.

Jon

Inactive hide details for Wayne Vicknair/Austin/IBMWayne
Vicknair/Austin/IBM

                         e                                              To
                         i        Bertrand Le Roy
                         c        <Bertrand.Le.Roy at microsoft.com>
                         n                                              cc
                         i        "ide at openajax.org" <ide at openajax.org>,
                         r        ide-bounces at openajax.org, Jon
                         /        Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS
                         u                                         Subject
                         t        Re: [OpenAjaxIDE] Multiselect properties
                         i        - must have datatype of arrayJon
                         n        Ferraiolo
                         /

                         0
                         8
                         /
                         0
                         7
                         /
                         2
                         0
                         0
                         8
                         0
                         7
                         :
                         5
                         6

I believe that the <options> and <option> element combination do indeed
express a constrained, multiple-value parameter. HTML DOM and Dojo's
dijit.form.MultiSelect both happen to implement that concept with an,
admittedly inefficient, array return value. That implementation does not
diminish the expressiveness of the <options> construct. An implementation
could choose to iterate over the array values converting them to numbers
and bitwise or-ing them together.

Cheers,
Wayne
Wayne E. Vicknair
Consulting Product Design Professional
IBM SWG Emerging Internet Technologies
Office: 512.838.0707 Email: waynev at us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Bertrand Le Roy ---08/06/2008 07:59:54 PM---Same
thing that happens in C. Never been a problem as youBertrand Le Roy
---08/06/2008 07:59:54 PM---Same thing that happens in C. Never been a
problem as you rarely have the many flag values. Storing a list of
countries or stat

                         Bertrand Le
                         Roy
                         <Bertrand.Le.R
                         oy at microsoft.c
                         om>                                            To
                         Sent by:
                         ide-bounces at op         Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo
                         enajax.org             Park/IBM at IBMUS

                                                                        cc
                         08/06/08 07:50
                         PM                     "ide at openajax.org"
                                                <ide at openajax.org>

                                                                   Subject

                                                Re: [OpenAjaxIDE]
                                                Multiselect properties -
                                                must have datatype of
                                                array

Same thing that happens in C. Never been a problem as you rarely have the
many flag values. Storing a list of countries or states would be more
efficiently stored in more elaborate data structures. The use we have of
flags is typically stuff like read/write/readwrite or left, right, top,
bottom and combinations. You get the idea. Bit structures are way more
efficient for this type of situation.
Sure, HTML options are different but I’m not sure I see your point.
Anyway, that’s the design we have in our APIs and it would be nice if it
was possible to express it.