[OpenAjaxIDE] renewing the discussion of type="library"

Lori Hylan-Cho lorihc at adobe.com
Fri Jul 18 10:35:41 PDT 2008

hi gang

I wrote last week, and we discussed briefly at this week's meeting, my
confusion over how <require type="library"> should work. (
http://openajax.org/pipermail/ide/2008q3/000539.html ) I have a couple more
questions to pose.

1. We talked a bit about this in last week¹s meeting, but what is the
expectation for src when type=²library² -- that it would be a single file
(meaning that all the files in the library would need to be referenced
individually), or that it would be a folder?
  a. If it¹s a folder, then how is that different from type=²folder²?
  b. Is the idea that "folder" is still relative to an individual widget,
whereas "library" is a folder or group of files that are shared among
several widgets, and that would be better placed at a central location in
the end user's site?

2. How will the IDE know the type of the file(s) being referenced with
type="library"?
  a. Is the assumption that "library" implies JS?
  b. What of css files that might be included in a library distribution?
  c. Is there an expectation that IDEs will attempt to determine the file
type from the file extension?

3. Is it possible for a widget developer to specify an absolute URL for
type="library" or type="folder"?
  a. Would the IDE then be responsible for either crawling that folder or
downloading it?
  b. See #2.

Thoughts appreciated; we're trying to finalize some code for a beta test
with a couple widget developers, and the uncertainty around how
type="library" should be interpreted is blocking us.

Cheers,