[OpenAjaxIDE] OpenAjax API Metadata spec problems

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 15 11:35:41 PDT 2008

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the detailed review! See inline below.
Jon

ide-bounces at openajax.org wrote on 07/15/2008 10:05:34 AM:

> Here are some problems I have seen while I have started implementation of
> API metadata.
> Most of these are probably minor problems in the schema.
>
> 1) there is no "descriptive_elements" defined.  Assuming the
> descriptive_elements are all the elements in the Descriptive chapter, it
> would mean you could have an "Author" tag for each method, field, class,
> etc.  Do we
> want that everywhere?

The schema actually has "descriptive_elements" defined, but I neglected to
include a section in the spec that showed that definition. I have now added
such as section. See:

* http://www.openajax.org/schema/OpenAjaxMetadata/1.0/Descriptive.rnc
*
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/OpenAjax_Metadata_Specification_Descriptive#Element_and_attribute_collections_defined_in_this_chapter

> 2) the "ancestor" element is not referenced by anything.

I believe it is. It is referenced by "ancestors", which is referenced by
"class". But in looking at the schema, I think I need to make some fixes to
address our recent decision about plural elements and singular elements
(e.g., "class" should allow "ancestor" as a direct child) and we need to
decide whether a "mix", "mixin" and "namespace" can have ancestors. Good
topic for the phone call today.

> 3) Should the "alias" tag be a child of the "api" tag?  it makes sense
for
> classes, but not sure about being at the top level.

We should talk about that at the phone call.

> 4) shouldn't "event" be contained by "class"?

Oops. Yes.

> 5)  should the "constructor" tag have the "scope" attribute.   This would
> mean you can have a static constructor.

Good topic for phone call.

> 6) the "exception" element used to have a (data)type, it is no longer
> there, should it be?

Need to research.

> 7) fields_element is not referenced

Oops. Another error.