[OpenAjaxIDE] proposal for widget child properties

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 15 08:52:37 PDT 2008

Hi Phil,
Thanks. Let's talk about this at today's phone call.

Jon

             Phil
             Berkland/Austin/I
             BM at IBMUS                                                   To
             Sent by:                  ide at openajax.org
             ide-bounces at opena                                          cc
             jax.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [OpenAjaxIDE] proposal for widget
             07/15/08 07:49 AM         child properties

For some toolkits, a container widget will add a property to their
children, for instance a layout widget might add a "alignment" property to
their children.
Currently there is nothing in the metadata to handle this.
I propose the me add a new element <childProperties> as a child of the
widget element.  <childProperties> will contain <property> elements.  These
<property> elements
will apply to any widget which is a child (direct child).

For instance (very abbreviated):
<widget name="verticalLayout">):
      <properties>
             .
             .
      </properties>
      <childProperties>
            <property name="alignment">
               .
               .
            </property>
      </childProperties>
</widget>

Phil Berkland
IBM Software Group Emerging Technologies).