[OpenAjaxIDE] IDE Issue 7: Datatypes (plus other issues)

Greg Murray Gregory.Murray at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 20 14:25:49 PST 2007

Hi Bertrand,

I agree that the types really do different on a per widget bases.

For describing values with jMaki  widgets we have the following:

type, required, description, defaultValue.

Example:

'value': {'required':'false', 'type': 'OBJECT',
               'description':'An object containing chart data and the
x and y axis information.',
               'defaultValue': {
                  'xTicks' :
                     [{ 'label' : 'Etsuko', 'id' : 'e'},
                     { 'label' : 'Kitty', 'id' : 'k'},
                     { 'label' : 'Greg', 'id' : 'g'}
                     ],
                 'data' : [
                     { 'id' : 'k', 'value' : 18 },
                     { 'id' : 'g', 'value' : 8 },
                     { 'id' : 'e', 'value' : 8 }

                     ]
          }

      },

We only allow for JSON desirable types. Looking at issue 7 we are
pretty much in line with it already.

I a meeting I believe I mentioned in the meeting that we use BNF to
describe the data types in jMaki. This was not my preference (I'd
rather have JSON style schemas) but it works. For examples see:

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Projects/jMakiDataModels

-Greg