[OpenAjaxIDE] IDE Issue 7: Datatypes (plus other issues)

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Wed Dec 19 16:54:19 PST 2007

Hi Bertrand,
Being self-analytic, I would guess that my recommendation of defining more
built-in types comes from my long career on the visual tooling side (having
been a manager at one time or another at nearly every Adobe product, at
least those that existed before the Macromedia acquisition). As a result, I
tried to come up with a list of datatypes that lent themselves to special
data entry user interface (e.g., a calendar widget to pick a date).
However, in recognition of the difficulty to require everyone to implement
special editors for a long list of built-in datatypes, I came up with the
fallback strategy where each "advanced" datatype had a fallback in one of
the core JavaScript types, usually "string". Anyway, that's what I was
thinking, but I'm not stuck on it. I just wanted to push the discussion
forward by attempting to come up with a reasonable starting point for
discussion. I look forward to the phone call tomorrow.

Jon

             Bertrand Le Roy
             <Bertrand.Le.Roy@
             microsoft.com>                                             To
                                       Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS,
             12/19/2007 02:56          "ide at openajax.org"
             PM                        <ide at openajax.org>

                                       RE: [OpenAjaxIDE] IDE Issue 7:
                                       Datatypes (plus other issues)

One immediate remark I have when reading this (issue 7) is that any set of
complex type that you choose will be arbitrary and will always be different
from specific implementations.
So I think instead of including specific complex types into the specs, we
should limit ourselves to the built-in JavaScript types, plus enumerations,
plus maybe CSS stuff like color and length, plus validation constraints,
but only provide support for complex types through an extensibility
mechanism.

Bertrand