[OpenAjaxIDE] IDE Issue 7: Datatypes (plus other issues)

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Wed Dec 19 11:06:40 PST 2007

Hi everyone,
Last week I promised to do my best to pull together a write-up about the
Datatypes issues. After reviewing previous discussion, doing some research,
and thinking about things, I have pulled together an extensive write-up and
a complete set of recommendations. You can find all of this at:

* http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/IDE_Issue_7 (Datatypes)

I believe that this is the primary topic for tomorrow's phone call.

I have also done various things with other existing issues. Here are some

* IDE Issue 1: Toolkit identification, configuration, loading, and
I updated the proposed recommendation to reflect discussion at last week's
phone call. In particular, I renamed the 'head' attribute to
'includeAssetReference' and I added a 'sandbox' attribute to indicate
whether the widget can be intermixed within existing content (e.g., use a
DIV) or should be isolated (e.g., use an IFRAME).

* IDE Issue 3: Widget metadata localization
I added a paragraph at the end raising the sub-issue about where tools can
find the localization files.

* IDE Issue 6: Hooks for custom design-time user interface
Previously, this wiki page had no content. There is now a complete write-up
along with a proposed recommendation.

Finally, I have added some new issues writeups:

*  IDE Issue 8: Complex datatypes

* IDE Issue 9: Complex parameter lists (e.g., varargs)

* IDE Issue 10: returnType or returnTypes (e.g., varargs)

* IDE Issue 11: Should our metadata formats be expressible as JSON?

I do not have a proposal yet for Issue 11. I have to do more research

Note that there is an index page to the list of current issues at:

* http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/IDE_Issues

I will talk to some of you tomorrow. For everyone else, Happy Holidays!