[OpenAjaxIDE] OAA IDE WG Minutes 2007-11-29

Kevin Hakman khakman at tibco.com
Thu Dec 6 08:57:53 PST 2007

IDE Minutes 2007-11-29

http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/IDE_Minutes_2007-11-29

Attendees this week

*	Lori Hylan-Cho <lorihc(at)adobe.com>
*	Scott Richards <(at)adobe.com>
*	Ingo Muschenetz <ingo(at)aptana.com>
*	Kevin Hakman <khakman(at)tibco.com>
*	Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai(at)us.ibm.com>
*	Bertrand Le Roy <Bertrand.Le.Roy(at)microsoft.com>
*	Jim Driscoll, Sun's jMaki project
*	Rich Thompson, IBM

Minutes

Kevin Hakman thanked Lori, Scott and Jon for putting together the OAA
IDE metadata descriptions for various controls to see where the metadata
was working and more importantly discover areas where we needed more
refinement in the metadata. Lori worked on google maps. Scott on the YUI
menu. Jon on the Dojo Date Picker. Each started with the metdata
description from the jMaki wrapper files for each of these since Greg
Murray and the jMaki team had already been down this path, except the
data was expressed in JSON, not XML.

Kevin: Jon can you update us on what you discovered in the process of
expressing the Dojo date picker in the proposed metadata scheme?

Jon: good news bad news. Most straight forward. Ran into some issues,
not like rocket science, but will require some discussion. Bad news:
metadata questions are sort of sticky. For example jmaki has a value
proxy - jmaki separates what represents data values into a separate
file.

Jim: Allows for a service to assign the values.

Jon: It will take time to discuss these approaches.

Kevin: Lori and Scott, what di you find?

Lori: working from jmaki json file ... for dreamweaver ... must know
what the pattern is for the default HTML.

Scott - which ones are the default value.

Lori: saying the widget has these properties, but I did not know what to
do to them.

Lori: google map constructor follows same as spry... constructor takes
an object. These objects go into the options object.

Jim - jmaki map is actually dual purpose for google and yahoo, thus has
a level of indirection ... which is why Lori can't map directly to the
google api.

Jon: we're coordinating our widgets efforts with the gadget taskforce.
Some of the things that jmaki has done with the standards events and
publish/subscribe

Lori: for lib and resource files propose a type attribute... for js you
can infer .js and thus use a script tag, but for css you might want to
import rather than link to those.

Scott: need to separate design time resources from the rest.

Jon: jmaki has done a few things to further automation.

Jim-design time there is no diff with jmaki - at design time jmaki takes
the HTML template and copies it in. It is what it is.

Scott: in my example I added a few extra extensions under the adobe
namespace to meet a few other needs in our format, but most comes form
the existing metadata to support dev-time dev tools.

Jon: using generic metadata widget creator can get basic functionality,
then extensibility allows for more info for dreamweaver tooling.

Scott: needs name, library name ... I'm proposing adding another widget
name .. something unique.

Scott: need category, shortname, longname values to support visual
tooling cases.

Jon: localization needed as well.

Chorus: Yes

Jon: let's list the issues and approach each systematically.

*	properties and how to map into constructor

*	reference types for <resource>, <asset>

*	localization

*	library loading and initialization

*	shortname, longname

*	defaults and viability of them? E.g. the HTMLtemplate

Jon: for other projects we had open issues, closed issues sections. Then
documented rationale for closing. For each issue we'd launch an email
thread with issue # and name so that we can have threaded discussion on
that topic, then wiki would capture key outcomes from the email
conversation.

( NOTE: This wiki pages is @
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/IDE_Issues )

Jon: Not sure I'm capable to understand all the issues, Use the wiki for
that.

Kevin: yes please add to the wiki list of open items as you come across
them so that we can be sure to discuss and resolve.

Kevin: any other business?

Jon: reagrding stacktrace: Next meeting I'd like 15 minutes to discuss
bertrand's email on the stacktrace example with Phil, Ingo and Bertrand.

Kevin: great. We'll do that. See you all next week.

Retrieved from
"http://www.openajaxalliance.org/member/wiki/IDE_Minutes_2007-11-29"

Kevin Hakman

Director, Developer Evangelism

Co-Founder General Interface Enterprise Ajax Toolkit

P: (415) 225-4259  E: khakman at tibco.com

TIBCO Software Inc.

All information in this email is proprietary and confidential.