[OpenAjaxIDE] Dojo date picker in XML

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 16 11:36:59 PST 2007

Oh, maybe you don't understand how the JSON and XML relate to each other.
It is *not* meant to be two different encodings of the same infoset.

The JSON representation was the original jMaki widget as it shipped with
the jMaki 1.0 distribution. The XML representation is the same *general*
information expressed in our proposed XML grammar.

The only reason for inclusion the JSON is to show how jMaki expressed the
information, but that's just background reference information. My
assumption is that there is only one expression for our metadata and it is
in XML.

Jon

             Bertrand Le Roy
             <Bertrand.Le.Roy@
             microsoft.com>                                             To
                                       Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS
             11/16/2007 11:11                                           cc
             AM                        "ide at openajax.org"
                                       <ide at openajax.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [OpenAjaxIDE] Dojo date picker
                                       in XML

Well, consistency between the JSON schema and the XML schema would be
preferable in my opinion. It should be trivial to go from one to the other
even without knowledge of the grammar.

I don’t think we should take JSON as the reference on how types are
specified: it really is unspecified in JSON as the type is inferred from
the literal syntax. Plus, JSON is based on the idea that it’s only data and
only uses that handful of built-in types (by the way, Date is severely
missing  but that’s a different topic). In our case, the scenario is
fundamentally different as we’re describing APIs where complex types are
perfectly OK.

Bertrand