[OpenAjaxIDE] Widget comparison matrix

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 22 15:37:18 PDT 2007

Hello IDE WG and the people who have signed up so far for the Gadgets TF,

I have put together the start of a comparison matrix that attempts to
provide a quick&dirty feature comparison of some "widget" technologies:

* http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Widget_System_Comparison_Table

 I use quotes on "widget" because, as everyone knows, there are multiple
definitions for that word:

(1) where "widget" means UI controls within Ajax libraries
(2) where "widget" means a mini-application that gets used in a mashup
(3) where "widget" means a mini-application that gets installed on a mobile
device or desktop system

Here are the technologies I researched:

* Adobe's proposed widget grammar as submitted to the IDE WG (1)
* jMaki (1)
* dijit, the UI system within Dojo  (1)
* IBM's OpenAjax Widget Proposal (2)
* W3C Widgets 1.0 (3)
* Apple Dashboard (3)

I apologize to any products or technologies that are not in the matrix. I
chose technologies that I thought covered a broad spectrum and that I knew
had some interesting aspects to them. Feel free to add additional columns
for other products or technologies. Also, I have only partial understanding
of the technologies I chose, so feel free to improve the matrix,
particularly by replacing "?" entries with whether the given technology
supports the given feature.

After looking at the matrix, my instincts are that we need to attempt a
unified approach that addresses all three possible definitions for
"widget".