[OpenAjaxIDE] Minutes from today's phone call 2007-08-09

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 9 14:22:25 PDT 2007

Thanks to Lori for taking minutes today.

IDE Minutes 2007-08-09

Attendees this week
      Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai(at)us.ibm.com>
      Kevin Hakman <khakman(at)tibco.com>
      Phil Berkland <berkland(at)us.ibm.com> representing Eclipse ATF
      project
      Lori Hylan-Cho <lorihc(at)adobe.com>
      Ludovic Champenois <Ludovic.Champenois at Sun.COM>
      Greg Murray <greg.murray at sun.com>
      Ingo Muschenetz <ingo at aptana.com>
      Anne (?) - Microsoft

Minutes

(continuing to review and finalize
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/IDE/requirements. Jon updated the
document as decisions were made in the meeting.)

Kevin talks a bit about server frameworks wrt AJAX controls

Discussed Server framework integration section of requirements
      Kevin: should we even take this on? should we only focus on
      client-side requirements?
      Jon: we need to understand what it means, client side vs. server
      side. Microsoft AJAX, Lazlo, Flex are all hybrids.
      Greg: We're not as server-centric as you might think; we're agnostic.
      Ludo: We support many different servers. It's important to support
      server-side components, using metadata.
      Kevin: Requirements are being developed from a client-side view; are
      these suitable for server-side? Are there specific requirements for a
      server-side environment that we should enumerate here?
      Jon: I think these bullets look good.
      Phil: It sounds like we're saying that we should design APIs. Aren't
      we just talking about metadata? (change made)

Two bullets in this section approved.

Discussed Dependencies section
      Phil: First bullet sounds like a repeat of "SHOULD describe the
      resources upon which the control depends (other ajax libraries or
      controls). The minimum version number of those resources SHOULD be
      specified. There SHOULD be a mechanism for describing "depreciated"
      items (methods, properties, etc).."
      Kevin: Versioning seems like a can of worms; can we describe this in
      text.
      Jon: I agree; maybe we should have a MUST describe in text, and a MAY
      describe for automatic consumption.
      Kevin: Added new bullets.
      Lori: This is key for us: we need to know which asset files the
      widget/control depends upon.
      Jon: I was thinking of it in terms of "Scriptaculous depends on
      Prototype".
      Kevin: But I think Lori has a point here; we need to think about it
      both ways.
      Jon: I'd be interested in the JMaki guys' experience, since they've
      already done this.
      Greg: Yes, we do have this notion -- we group them into CSS,
      JavaScript, other assets. We *have* to have these things in order to
      copy the files to the right place and, if possible, render the
      widget.
      Lori: This is exactly what we need, too.
      Kevin: (changed the bullet under Phil's name that talked about
      dependent files to a MUST and moved it down to Dependencies section.)
      Kevin: There's two different use cases here: Person reading file to
      see what's needed to run the widget, and Tool installing widget and
      dependencies.
      Kevin: I propose adding another bullet to this section: "The metadata
      SHOULD seek to describe dependent resources in a way that could be
      shared between controls."
       ?: I'm wondering if we could use various hub... ? (Didn't get)
      Lori: what's the hub?
      Jon: It's a pub/sub mechanism developed here at OAA where different
      libraries can talk to each other.
      Kevin: I've added another bullet to the bottom of the list about
      including the unique identifier for a toolkit as listed in the
      official OpenAjax Registry

(Discussion of revised bullets)
      Jon: (withdrawn)
      Jon: Let's move the "Toolkits SHOULD describe if they are dependent
      on a particular server framework (and thus perhaps trigger a
      download/install or vice versa)" to the parentheses in the third
      bullet.

Six bullets in this section approved.

Discussed Discovery and download section

All agree that first three elements should stay MAYs, but need to be
reworded.
      Greg: I like the idea of adding a section on design-time dependencies
      (as opposed to runtime dependencies).

Wrap-up:
      Kevin: If anyone has actual examples of implementations, please share
      them.