[OpenAjaxIDE] Microsoft Ajax metadata format quick start guide

Alex Russell alex at dojotoolkit.org
Thu Jul 12 12:04:43 PDT 2007

Hey Bertrand,

On Thursday 12 July 2007 11:08 am, Bertrand Le Roy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That subject was discussed at yesterday's meeting.
>
> Actually, it's a fact that many existing and widely used frameworks
> extend built-in prototypes and instances.

Hence we have a problem that needs solving. That it is so today creates
no viable case that it *should* be so or that we as a body have any
business sanctioning such interoperability-destroying practices.

> Even frameworks that make a
> major point of having minimal impact on the global namespace actually
> introduce potential conflicts in ways that are not always easy to
> see. For example, it's common practice to have APIs that query the
> DOM and return DOM elements that are mixed-in with additional
> functionality.

Lets be VERY clear about this: toolkit vendors do this because IE does
not allow any useful form of subclassing of DOM elements. Dojo provides
a widget system and the NodeList classes for this very reason (we wrap
but never extend). Other browsers have some means of DOMElement
subclassing although they are far from ideal or coherent at this point.
Every toolkit vendor I know would like to have this fixed, but so far
MSFT has neither shared any data about IE.next WRT this issue (or any
others), nor have repeated calls for a solution to this issue been
heeded in previous IE releases. Perhaps you can press the case
internally?

> Do you also want to prohibit that?

I'm in favor of documenting these hacks and noting the interop pitfalls.
That said, what you're describing only happens once a node is "owned"
by a block of code, it's not a global, de-facto and by-default behavior
imposed on every node in the system. It is, clearly, a distinct and
separate question from that of root object prototypes.

> I think it's a fact
> that built-in objects will be extended because it's very useful to do
> so.

It's this body's job to set standards for interoperability, not to
condone a race to the bottom.

> I'm sure Dojo does a much better job than we do at never adding
> an expando to any object that it doesn't own but we chose to be very
> open about everything we had so that we can spot problems that are
> likely to be found in other libraries too.

Dojo is not (and never has been) 100% "clean". What OAA needs to do is
to set standards that libraries need to meet. Setting them high is a
point of leverage in getting toolkit vendors (Dojo included) to do the
right thing. Dojo only has less work to do because we knew these
standards were coming when we sat down to do 0.9. I actually think
that's a great case for why we should set the standards high.

> You could take the approach of prohibiting everything but the likely
> result would probably be that toolkit vendors would just go "ok,
> fine, we won't be OpenAjax-compliant then" rather than break their
> customers' applications. I don't think that's what we're trying to
> achieve here.

Fair enough, but this one is straightforward and has known interop
issues which aren't discoverable except at runtime in composed systems.
It's hell to debug and easily avoidable through social pressure on
vendors.

> The goal of the registry as far as I understand it is to manage
> conflicts while allowing the flexibility that is required by existing
> art.

Yep. I think the resolution would need to be something like "we'll
accept these 10 but not these other 5, therefore you can't claim
to "own" them and must warn your users about them". That seems
equitable to the state of the art.

> I think it would also be useful if the Alliance provided guidelines
> in the form of "SHOULD" recommendations such as "libraries SHOULD NOT
> extend Object.prototype or Array.prototype". Whether they should
> extend instances of DOM elements

Note the terminology here. "instances" vs. "prototypes". If root DOM
Node prototypes were exposed sanely across browsers, I'd be advocating
just as strongly against extensions to them. Instances are a different
ballgame than prototypes.

Regards