[OpenAjaxIDE] Microsoft Ajax metadata format quick start guide

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 12 11:39:06 PDT 2007

Hi Alex,
Actually, this is a hot topic within the Interoperability Working Group
that will be on the agenda for the next phone call. We talked about it
briefly at the Interop phone call on Wed. and I promised to take a crack at
this very tough issue so that we have something concrete to discuss before
the next Interop phone call. (Scheduled in 2 weeks, but that's overlapping
Ajax Experience, so we might have to postpone.)

While I agree that OpenAjax should not condone extending JavaScript as any
sort of officially sanctioned best practice, we have to deal with realities
where some very popular Ajax toolkits extend JavaScript and at least some
will refuse to give up on this. Therefore, I was thinking about having the
OpenAjax Registry define at least two categories. One category would be the
list of approved globals, such as [window.]openajax and [window.]dojo. For
Microsoft, they use [window.]Sys as the root for most of the features in
their runtime. The second category would be the list of JavaScript
extensions (which we preface with comments about major interoperability
problems from extending JavaScript, but how the cat is out of the bag, so
OpenAjax is defining a mechanism for addressing these extensions). The
general idea is that OpenAjax would define some rules about JavaScript
extensions, such as (1) there needs to be a complete spec for an extension,
(2) there needs to be a commitment that future versions of the extension
will be backwards compatible, (3) for each extension we would identify
someone in the industry as the owner of particular extensions. (Something
like that.)

Jon

             Alex Russell
             <alex at dojotoolkit
             .org>                                                      To
                                       ide at openajax.org
             07/12/2007 10:15                                           cc
             AM                        Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUS
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [OpenAjaxIDE] Microsoft Ajax

On Thursday 12 July 2007 7:46 am, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Bertrand has sent in some emails describing the list of globals and
> JavaScript extensions that MS Ajax uses, along with the XML format
> used to document the runtime JavaScript used by MS Ajax. I have been
> going through some of these documents and I found it a bit hard to
> figure out where I could find an executive summary and some examples.
> Here is what I found:
>
> Executive summary of XML metadata format:
> *
> http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2007/04/23/the-format-for-javas
>cript-doc-comments.aspx
>
> List of JavaScript globals and JavaScript extensions used by MS Ajax:
> * http://openajax.org/pipermail/interop/2007q2/000168.html

Ouch...that's a long list. Are we going to allow any vendor
to "register" globals which extend root object prototypes? I had
thought that the consensus was "no", and that they should be flagged as
dangerous and potentially conflicting (otherwise interop is a joke).

Regards

--
Alex Russell
alex at sitepen.com     A99F 8785 F491 D5FD 04D7 ACD9 4158 FFDF 2894 6876