[OpenAjaxIDE] Minutes from phone call 2007-02-08

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 8 14:04:24 PST 2007

IDE TF Minutes 2007-02-08

Attendees
      Craig McClanahan <craig.mcclanahan(at)sun.com>
      Greg Murray <greg.murray(at)sun.com>
      Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai(at)us.ibm.com>
      Kevin Hakman <khakman(at)tibco.com>
      Phil Berkland <berkland(at)us.ibm.com> representing Eclipse ATF
      project
      Paul Colton <paul(at)aptana.com>
      Ingo Muschenetz <ingo(at)aptana.com>

Minutes

Kevin opened the meeting asking if participants had added and refined the
use cases and requirements.

Greg updated the toolkit survey with a summary of jMaki.

Jon, Phil, Kevin, Paul, and Ingo updated uses cases & req’s.

Participants from ILOG also updated the use cases with some server-side
thoughts, though server-side issues are not yet part of the focus on this
group. (see more on this through below though in the discussion)

Jon surveyed authoring tools, make sure that there was bullet in req’s page
related to his findings there.

Jon provided a summary on his research into Adobe’s tools. Highlights…

Ability within IDE to control behaviors and effects, in Flex, can say what
sorts of behaviors it support (fade in/out, animations, multimedia
features)

Author time events: GoLive: WSYSIG placement of components, based on events
within authoring tool, the components can listen and get notified about a
change in state in the tools, then the components reflected that change as
well

Ingo – visual studio does the same design time rendering, also java studio
and ?web pack?.

Kevin – is there anything in the metadata we need to enable the WSYSIG
update to the visuals?

Craig – can I make widgets that work in more than one tool? That issue is
being addressed in part by the recently submitted JSR-273.

Jon – we should consider defining design time events that can be given to
components; define standard list of design time events

USE CASES

Kevin -- Any that we missed?

Craig – debugging perhaps. Ides should have step through, ext…

Greg – can our format be “two way” for both import and export? It should be
promoted as such so that users of IDEs could create and export conformant
components.

Jon – tools could export the widgets

Greg – we also need versioning

Craig -- it’s there.

Kevin – In regards to debugging, I added input validation metadata to the
list … does the data type need be CSS for example, and if it’s not that
would enable the IDE to be able to throw data entry error feedback

Jon – RE: bullet #1. Dreamweaver does not have palette, but has toolbars.
We can refine the specific wording to cover a broader set of cases.

Updates to use cases we made pursuant to further discussion. These can be
found at http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/IDE_TF/usecases

There was also discussion on the possibility of an Ajax component spec
which would cover data binding standards for use in client-side and
server-side authoring environments.

ACTION ITEMS

Updates and refinements to requirements wiki page @
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/IDE_TF/requirements

NEXT MEETING
      Next meeting: Thurs, Feb-22, 9am PST, noon EST, 6pm Paris
      Toll Free: 1-877-422-0052
      Toll: 1-314-655-1417
      Participant Pin access code: 142380
      IRC channel: irc.freenode.net, #oaa-interop
      Agenda
            Introduction
            Guest appearance by Mike Milinkovich (or other representative
            from Eclipse) to advise on his experiece with similar ideas at
            Eclipse. Mike wants to assure that the focus and scope is clear
            and provide foresight to avoid the slippery slopes of scopes
            such widget/component definitions could take on.
            Task force process
            Review & refine requirements
            Any Other Business
            Wrap up