[OpenAjaxIDE] Overlap between component encapsulation and metadata between IDE TF efforts and Server TF efforts

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 29 09:12:53 PST 2007

(Cross-posting to two lists)

Over the past few days I have been researching some of the IDE issues
related to Ajax components. One of the things that strikes me is that there
is likely to be significant overlap between the component encapsulation
approaches and metadata approaches that are necessary to achieve the
objectives of the two task forces (i.e., IDE integration and Server
framework integration). A significant data point within industry that
re-inforces this overlap is what Greg has done with jMaki, which addresses
both IDE integration and Server integration issues.

At the moment, my impression is that the IDE TF is slightly ahead of the
Server TF, but not by much. Both task forces have surveys of existing
products. The IDE TF is further along right now with use cases and
requirements (particularly with regard to requirements:
http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/IDE_TF/requirements), but at the last
phone call
(http://www.openajax.org/member/wiki/Server_TF_Minutes_2007-01-17)  the
Server TF has assigned actions to its members to build up use cases and
requirements before their next phone call (which should be in two days on
Jan. 31).

It seems to me that there needs to be some coordination between the two
task forces. Perhaps one of the standard agenda items for each task force
is an update and review of what is going on at the other task force. For
example, the Server TF probably needs to look at the use cases and
requirements for the IDE TF and decide about how much coordination of
requirements and technical specs is warranted.

One particular example of a coordinate issue is the file format used to
express the metadata for an Ajax component. The two most obvious candidates
are JSON and XML. My guess right now is that we will want to have a single
specification for Ajax component metadata that includes fields that are
useful for either (or both) IDEs and server frameworks, and that we choose
either JSON or XML for that metadata. The question is whether there are
strong preferences from one camp or the other. For example, perhaps server
frameworks prefer XML over JSON, but maybe Ajax IDEs prefer JSON over XML.
Whatever, this is a cross-task-force coordination issue.