[OpenAjaxGadgets] Gadgets TF says allow substitution on referenced content

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 17 14:48:06 PDT 2009

Since we had a low turnout at today's IDE WG phone call, let's try to
resolve this issue on email.

At today's phone call, Adam, Javier and Jon talked about this:

Discussion (from minutes of today's IDE phone call)
      It looks like Gadgets TF discussion wants substitution on CONTENT
      (whether SRC= or not) and JAVASCRIPT (whether SRC= or not). That's
      acceptable with us. (Let's see if IDE WG will agree with that via
      email.)
      We shouldn't do subtitution on REQUIRE SRC=. First off, in many
      workflows, a REQUIRE element will get translated directly into one
      line of HTML, such as LINK element (for type=css) or a SCRIPT element
      (for type=javascript). Secondly, in the IDE case, REQUIRE SRC= assets
      can be shared across multiple widgets. (Let's see if IDE WG will
      agree with that via email.)
      Observation: IDE spec says SRC= is a required attribute on REQUIRE
      element. (Need to verify that IDE WG is fully aware of this via
      email.)

Here are concrete proposals.

Localization substitution:
* <content> (inline and SRC=)
* <javascript> (inline and SRC=)
* <author>
* <description>
* <shortDescription>
* <example>
* <license>
* <remarks>
* <title>
* <aboutMe>
* <quote>

Property substitution:
* <content> (inline and SRC=)
* <javascript> (inline and SRC=)

Widget ID substitution:
* <content> (inline and SRC=)
* <javascript> (inline and SRC=)

Note that we are proposing that there is no substitution for REQUIRE,
PRELOAD or POSTLOAD. (See "Discussion" above)

One more thing: just wanted to highlight the fact that the IDE spec says
that the SRC attribute is required on the REQUIRE element. That means no
such thing as inline REQUIRE. (I guess that's what the JAVASCRIPT, PRELOAD
and POSTLOAD elements are for.)

             Ferraiolo/Menlo
             Park/IBM at IBMUS                                             To
             Sent by:                  ide at openajax.org,
             gadgets-bounces at o         gadgets at openajax.org
             penajax.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/17/2009 07:24          Re: [OpenAjaxGadgets] [OpenAjaxIDE]
             AM                        Gadgets TF says allow
                                       substitution on referenced
                                       content

Just wanted to make sure everyone is on the same page here with the
details.

What about REQUIRE? My undertstanding is that we do macro substitution for
inline REQUIRE (only possible for type=css and type=javascript) but do not
do macro substitution for REQUIRE SRC=.

Jon

Inactive hide details for Jon Ferraiolo/Menlo Park/IBM at IBMUSJon

                         ide-bounces          ide at openajax.org
                         @openajax.o
                         rg                                             cc

                         03/16/2009                                Subject
                         06:18 PM
                                              [OpenAjaxIDE] Gadgets TF
                                              says allow substitution on
                                              referenced content

Right now the widget metadata spec says that string substitution (__WID__,
@@property@@, %%localizationkey%%) only occurs on string content found
within the metadata file, and does not occur on content that is referenced
by a 'src' attribute. In particular, the following works:

[content]....__WID__...[/content]

but as the spec stands today, this does not:

[content src="..."/] (assuming the file contains __WID__)

At the Gadgets TF phone call, we stepped through the scenarios and
concluded that there is no reason for preventing string substitution on
external files. The processing model is:

1) Fetch the referenced content
2) Run string substitutions
3) Inject into document

The only "difficulty" is that XMLHttpRequest does not work cross-domain;
however, the [content src=] won't work anyway if the content is in a
different domain. Therefore, our conclusion was that we should allow string
substitution on referenced files wherever string substitution works for
embedded/inline. (Note: we already have a warning in IDE spec about
same-domain restrictions.)