[OpenAjaxGadgets] gadget edit mode question

Jon Ferraiolo jferrai at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 10 12:57:13 PDT 2009

Hi Howard,
After long discussion over 2+ years about custom UI for editing properties,
we have been gravitated towardes a model where the editing tool has final
say over what appears for edit or help mode. On the IDE side, we have
pretty much dropped custom edit and help modes. Dreamweaver, for example,
depends on private namespace elements for custom user interfaces. That
leaves the mashup case. On the front, we concluded that there will be
scenarios where the mashup assembly tool might not be able to support the
widget's custom edit or help modes (i.e., impossible or infeasible to
implement), or the tool might decide that from a UI perspective it is
better to force all property editing or help information to come in a
uniform manner across all widgets. Our assumption is that most widgets will
not have custom edit modes or custom help modes and instead the majority
case in the short-term will be widgets that provide only a single CONTENT
element which is used only for rendering/view mode.

Jon

             Howard Weingram
             <weingram at tibco.c
             Sent by:                  Howard Weingram
             gadgets-bounces at o         <weingram at tibco.com>,
             penajax.org               "gadgets at openajax.org"
                                       <gadgets at openajax.org>
                                                                        cc
             04/10/2009 12:03
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: [OpenAjaxGadgets] gadget edit
                                       mode question

For that matter, host/widget rendering is not specific to edit mode and
could be done for any mode. I think widget.xml needs to explicitly identify
the modes and explicitly state whether the host or the widget renders the
UI
for each mode.

Regards,
Howard